Chapter 6 - Family

"Uh... Well... We were talking about us." Tim said awkwardly.

"Yeah... What about us?" Carter said as the doctor pushed her wheelchair over to the bed. Tim picked Carter up and placed her on the bed.

"Thank you, Doctor." Tim said sheepishly, "Can you give me just one minute?"

"Uh. Sure." Carter said as she watched Tim run out the door. He ran to the waiting room and sure enough Gibbs, Tony, Ziva, and Senior were sitting there waiting.

"Well?" Tony asked in anticipation.

"What the hell do I do?!" Tim asked frantically.

"Ask her to marry you." Ziva smirked.

"With what? I don't have a ring!"

"She loves you, McGee. She's not going to care." Gibbs said.

"Are you sure?" Tim asked. Gibbs slowly shook his head up and down. "Alright then... I'm going to do it."

Tim swallowed hard as he turned around. Gibbs, Tony, Ziva, and Senior got up and followed Tim to the door. They stopped outside as he took a deep breath and went in. "Timmy? What's going on?" Carter asked, sitting up in her bed.

"Carter. I wasn't planning on doing this today... But since you came in when we were talking about it, I figured I might as well... I am not at all prepared, but I think it will be alright." Tim said, bending down to one knee.

"Tim!" Carter put her hands to her face.

"Eight months ago, you were just moving into my apartment building. I just so happened to be heading to my car when I spotted you struggling to unlock your door. When I saw you drop your key I was ecstatic. It gave me a reason to talk to you. From that moment, I have known that you would be a part of my life forever. I know we've only dated for six months, and they weren't even consecutive, and we have had some rough patches along the way, but I love you more than anything. Carter Lynn Peterson, will you marry me?"

"Of course, Timothy!" Carter cried. He stood up and picked her up off of the bed. He held her in his arms and kissed her. They could hear a light chatter out in the hallway and pulled apart.

"You guys can come in." Tim said, placing Carter back on her bed. Quickly the four came in from the hallway.

"Ahh! Carter we have been talking about this for weeks!" Ziva said running up and giving Carter a hug. Carter laughed and hugged her back.

"Well... Looks like we are going to be brothers, McGroom!" Tony smirked as he put his arm around Tim's shoulder.

"It does. Doesn't it." Tim smiled, "I never thought I would be happy to say that, Tony."

"I wouldn't either, McGee." Gibbs said, "And I told you."

"That you did." Tim nodded in acknowledgement.

"Told you what?" Carter asked.

"He told me that it didn't matter if I had a ring yet or not. It just matters that we love each other." Tim smiled, "But don't worry. We can go buy a ring as soon as you're are out of the hospital."

"Sounds good to me!" Carter chuckled.

"Welcome to the family, Timothy." Senior smiled.