Chapter 61

A/N: Heh, a bit late lol. As always enjoy, and I'd love to hear your thoughts (and your frustrations). Thank you all to those who have followed along thus far, love you all <3

Sidenote: we are reaching the end of this book soooon. Four more chapters and an epilogue :)

Warning: Slight triggering content (for safe measures).

Chapter 61

Song: Love Don't Hate It by Duncan Laurence

Simon's POV

"Mark me," I repeated. "So no one would dare doubt us or hurt us again."

"Simon-"

"Vince," I whispered back, squeezing his hand in mine. I stared deeper into his jaded and conflicted eyes. He was walking a tightrope in his mind, balancing between his fears and desires, and I was just in arm's reach away.

If he could just put those thoughts behind him, keep his eyes forward, he would see my outreached hand waiting for him.

Instead of looking at me or taking my hand, he took a step back from his tightrope. As he clenched his eyes and pulled away, I wondered if this was really happening. Yet, I had expected this much from him, the apprehensive look in his eyes as his mind went on overdrive, a million thoughts running through that head of his.

Still, I had hoped, nearly expected him to give in, especially with the way my wolf and I could feel his wolf's presence desperately trying to squeeze past Vince's restraints. He wanted this, but he was still resisting. Punishing himself by holding back on something I thought we had made clear in wanting.

But if it was just a push he needed, maybe that was all it'd take to let go. I leaned forward, gripping the front of his shirt in hopes we could lose ourselves in another kiss. Before I could marry our lips together, he placed a hand on my chest firmly.

I waded through his blue eyes, wondering if his wolf was just as desperate for this as I was. If maybe they'd turn that fierce hue and guide Vince to exactly where he belonged. That maybe he'd stop this back and forth nonsense and finally give in.

But like time and time again, his fears overrode his desires.

"Don't," he mumbled, his eyes fixated on my lips. "Wait."

"Vince?"

"If you're forcing yourself to do this, I won't allow it, Simon." He whispered, slowly peeling his gaze away from my lips and reached my gaze. "If this is about what Michael planned, it doesn't matter. His arrangement is null, you don't need to go through with this because I'm alpha now. We don't need to go further."

"What are you-"

He placed a hand along the side of my face, the warmth only a minor distraction from. "We don't need to do this."

I chuffed before grabbing his wrist in my hand. "I want this, Vince. I want you. I want to be your mate, to be marked by you. How many times must I say it for you to believe it?"

He let out a breath he was holding before looking up at me, the conflict raging in those eyes of his. He couldn't speak, merely resigning to shake his head. It was just enough for me to understand. "I-"

"Forget it," I spat before biting my bottom lip, releasing my grip on him, and retracting my hand from his face. "Pretend I never said anything."

I pushed away from the table, taking maybe three strides away before I heard the screeching of his chair and a low growl emanating from his throat. In a flurry, his hand had gripped my upper arm tightly, whirling me around with such force that I stumbled backward until my back hit the bookshelf. My body tensed from his grip, and as my eyes trailed up to meet his face, I gasped.