Chapter 49

A/N: So I originally had this as a mellow chapter, and obviously things go sideways, and everything goes angsty, so I apologize. Also, I was taking way too long to finish this, then realized it was over 3k words, so I guess that explains why. Anyways, hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think, I appreciate any and all comments, feedback, and questions. 

Chapter 49

Simon's POV

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm splendid," Vince scoffed, nervously standing behind us as we walked towards the hospital. Maybe this had been a bad idea to begin with, but now I was curious as to why he was hung up about seeing his mother.

Xavier let out an uneasy laugh before leaning in to whisper, "just ignore him. He hasn't seen her in years, so he's probably anxious about her reaction."

I whirled around to see Vince still trailing behind us. "Years? It's been that long?"

"I don't know, five. Maybe six..." he trailed on as he looked away.

Xavier turned around to glare at him. "More like eight."

I paused in my tracks, looking at them incredulously. "Seriously?"

They didn't say anything, but it was all I needed for it to be confirmed. I shook my head. "Why haven't you visited?"

"It's just," Vince tried to reason. "I didn't really have the time, and well it didn't end well the last time so..."

"So you refused to even see her?" Xavier implored. "Sure. Well, if you had, you'd know that her memory is shot. She probably doesn't remember whatever argument you two had. Hell, she probably would've forgotten who you were if I hadn't talked to her about you."

"About me?"

Xavier rolled his eyes. "Yes, you dolt. She's been curious about how you've been."

"Oh," Vince didn't seem to believe him.

"Um," Xavier drew out, before giving us a sheepish grin. "There's just one thing I may have told her, that may not be entirely true."

"Oh no," Vince frowned and crossed his arms. "What now?"

Xavier stepped back from him like he was genuinely scared Vince would be upset. "Well, you see..."

"Xavier-"

"Look," Xavier put his hands out in surrender. "I didn't expect you to agree to see her as soon as I asked, so I assumed that things would have progressed, but-"

"What did you tell her?"

Xavier pursed his lips as he tried to cower behind me. "I-uh... maybe told her that you two were a...a thing."

There was dead silence as me and Vince turned to look at him funny.

"I mean I told her that you were with your true mate and that well," he clarified running a hand through his hair nervously. "Said that things were going great."

"Xavier-"

"You what?" Vince interrupted, stepping forward but I kept him from approaching his brother.

He put his hands up again. "Look, I didn't know! I just assumed things were going to get better, and that maybe it was better to tell her that instead of having to worry about you more than she needed to. I mean mom already was worried about you and Michael, and everything else, so I figured a little white lie would've been fine."

Vince let out a sigh, before rubbing his temple. "You idiot."

"Well," I let out a soft laugh, before carefully reaching out my hand to Vince, silently asking to hold it. "Guess it's time to meet my mother-in-law."