Chapter 14

A/N: Long chapter again, thanks for the 8k+ reads <3 Things are starting to make progress plot-wise, so hope you enjoy! Let me know what y'all think about Michael, should he be trusted? We'll see, haha.

Chapter 14

Simon's POV

I had spent a few days back in the comfort of the cave mulling over what Lucas told me that day. Aside from the terrifying bright orange eyes that haunted me, his words of warning were even more frightening. Why Michael of all people would want me dead was beyond me. Revenge, maybe, but now of all times? It didn't make any sense to me. Killing me wouldn't do anything to Vince, it probably would make him happier, honestly.

And the way Lucas was making Michael out to be, was he really that scary? I hadn't known him that well when I had been there, but did losing his mate really make him psychotic and unpredictable? Would I eventually become like that, or was I already considered psychotic?

Maybe I was already insane, I mean I was a rogue for over ten years, some outcasted pack members don't even last that long on their own. But then again, I wasn't completely alone. I had Cedar and Aspen. When I didn't lash out or walk out on them like I did. Which looking back on it, arguing with Aspen was dumb, he was the only one willing to help me out, even when I was drowning in my own blood, or throwing myself at anyone for money with no regard to my own safety.

And in a way, Aspen was right. I was like another child.

Even when I'd make hundreds of dollars with the men at the clubs or bars, the outcome was always the same; a sobbing mess that Aspen had to come and collect. Sure, I knew it was unhealthy, but I didn't have much of a choice did I? I could've gotten a normal job, but when I was kicked out, I left with nothing. No paperwork, no extra clothes, nothing. I had no proof of residence, social security, or anything. And a job required me to stay in one place, and the three of us could barely afford a motel. Aspen could barely secure the job he had now, and he was emotionally stable. If an employer were to see the amount of issues I had, they'd easily let me go and would soon rather hire an underaged kid over me.

But no matter how much Aspen loathed me, he'd still be there, mothering me the same way he did Cedar. He had been there since I was kicked out, helping me back on my feet, making sure I didn't do something I'd later regret.

And my heart ached at the thought of them leaving me in the dust for good. Telling me they had enough of my pathetic childish ass. But after that stunt that probably left Cedar traumatized, the possibility of them moving on didn't seem too far-fetched. In fact, I wouldn't even blame them, considering how much of a burden I was. But it still hurt thinking about it.

And by some miracle, a familiar scent filled the cave walls, and I almost stumbled over my own feet squeezing past the narrow entrance of one of the smaller caverns to hear the delightful sound of little Cedar shouting my name.

"Found him!" I heard him shout to Aspen, as he practically body slammed into me, before licking my face gently. Just a few weeks I would've cringed from his exuberant personality, but after the past few weeks, I had missed this.

That was until I saw Aspen's face, calm and calculated, as he sauntered towards us. He was pissed, that I could tell. Instinctively I walked backwards until my back hit the cave wall, and let out a low whine as he got closer and closer. A part of me knew that Aspen would never intentionally hurt me, but I knew that when I left like that it hurt him, and he had every right to be mad at me.

A few minutes seemed to pass, even Cedar seemed to sense the tension. "You could've at least brought your phone."

I looked up to see Aspen's grey eyes soften. His ears laid flat before he lowered his head and brushed it against my neck. "We were so worried about you."