Chapter 10

Surprise, longer update for once :)

Chapter 10

Simon's POV

It was dark out when I woke up, and the pup was still resting snuggled under me. She was still sound asleep, so I cautiously stepped out from the cavern to check if the snowstorm had settled down enough to look for food. The snow was still about a foot deep, but it was falling slower than it had on our way in. It would be difficult to find any food in this weather, but it wasn't impossible to find some type of hare or deer still roaming around. It wasn't too far into the winter season to be that concerned, but now that I had to account for the young pup, it was probably best I find something to hold us over for however long it would be to find her parents.

I stayed close to the cave in case the snow got heavier, and sniffed around, trying to find any burrows or deer tracks. It was difficult to pick up any older scents in snow, but I kept searching, hoping that something would turn up. Who knows how long that pup had gone without food already, I didn't want her to starve, let alone freeze to death.

And if by some miracle, I noticed a very subtle movement behind some bushes about thirty feet away. I froze in place, wondering if it had just been wishful thinking when I saw it again. Two white elongated ears, sticking up from the bushes. I crouched down, trying to figure out how to approach it. I waited for what seemed like hours, as the hare continued hopping around, then suddenly going toward the denser brush.

I followed the hare closer when I stopped in my tracks and saw a few others following close behind it. They were smaller than the one in front, three what appeared young hares, possibly children. My interest in hunting the hare, or anything else for that matter immediately dissipated, I walked back, heading back to the cave.

In the cavern, the pup was still sleeping, curled up in the same way that I had left. She looked exactly like Monica did on the nights we spent curled up in our makeshift forts near the fireplace. That wave of nostalgia made me hesitate to sit next to her again. Although I knew this pup wasn't in any way related to me, I still felt obligated to protect her and keep her safe for Monica's sake.

As I sat down next to her, she slowly roused until two light amber eyes stared back at me. She tensed up, ears erect, as she backed up against the cavern wall. I laid down, trying to appear less of a threat.

"You're okay," I told her. "You're safe here"

She hesitated before relaxing after watching me stay completely still. After a long silence, she knelt down in the same position I had taken, moving closer towards me, and asked in almost the same innocent and curious tone Monica had when asking me questions, "what's your name?"

"Simon," I replied. "My name's Simon"

"That's a cool name. My name's Sally"

She beamed as if she had just made a friend. She seemed like a complete turn around from the pup I had seen run off at the sight of me. It was almost hard to believe that she was the same pup nearly dying in the lake. Just like Monica, or even Cedar, she seemed to radiate positivity and this youthful innocence.

Curious, I asked boldly, "Why were you out in the woods?"

She let out a low whine and seemed to pout before responding, "my parents were fighting again, so I went for a run"

"Did you tell them you were going for a run?"

She shook her head, and I let out a sigh. My older brother instinct wanted me to chide her for not informing her parents, but I bit my tongue; it wasn't my place to parent her.