Chapter 62

A/N: I'm late once again, LOL. As I'm nearing the end of the book, I'm writing slower. I think it's cuz I'm subconsciously not ready to let this end. There are 3 more chapters and an epilogue. It's strange to say this because I've never imagined ever completing a book of this length. Anyways, hope you enjoy <3 Love y'all, and thanks for the wonderful support and love I've received thus far.

Chapter 62

Song: Fix it to Break it by Clinton Kane/Another Little Lie by Nick Wilson

Simon's POV

"I'm glad you both made it," Sarah greeted before we even made it up the steps to her home. "Xavier's already inside."

"Of course." I stepped up the stairs, Vince's hand left mine as he stood still at the foot of the stairs. I was surprised he had held onto it the whole way here.

"Vince, you're no stranger, come in." Sarah rolled her eyes, before dragging him up the stairs by the wrist. She herded us in before closing the door. "Hope you're hungry, we kind of went overboard."

It was like a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast, the table filled with appetizers, various main dishes as well as desserts. Xavier had already been helping himself to the rolls and dessert. Aspen watched with concern as Xavier seemed to inhale the rolls like a vacuum.

"Oh, this is lovely, Sarah." I patted her shoulder before taking a seat across from Aspen. "Thanks for inviting us."

She smiled widely. "Of course. Eat to your heart's content."

"Oh, I will," Xavier joked. "I'll take some to go too."

We laughed as he took another comically large spoonful of mashed potatoes. "You really should learn to cook on your own Xav," I jabbed. "Can't be smuggling food from people all the time."

He scoffed, before pointing his spoon at me. "I can, and I will. Not everyone is totally skilled in the kitchen."

"You're totally welcome to invite me to help you, and your cookies weren't awful."

He scoffed. "You're just being nice."

Sarah brought up some cooking disasters Xavier had done over the years and we continued to laugh and joke around. It had even gotten Aspen to laugh a couple of times, which was a rarity in itself. I swear those frown lines of his were permanent. For once, it felt like a normal family dinner, gossiping and remembering embarrassing stories about our past. Except, Vince seemed to be lost in his old world, hardly putting a dent in his food as the four of us laughed and chatted.

I hadn't been the only one to notice, in fact, I was aware that they all had noticed his despondent presence, but Sarah reached over mid-conversation to try and pry him out of that shell.

"So, how's everything? What are your plans now?" Sarah offered him some dinner rolls. He blinked before taking one, frowning at the question.

"We're making changes to the Rogue Control program," he replied, glancing down at the roll before looking back up at her. "As well as possible pack treaties."

She set the basket of rolls down before pinning him with her stare. "I meant with you two."

Xavier's fork clinked the side of his plate and he whispered an apology before watching the exchange along with the rest of us. It fell silent at the table as she raised a brow at him. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Vince mouth oh.

"Um." He gulped. "We..."

"We're taking it slow," I finished for him. Or that's what I think is happening, I thought. I wasn't even sure what it was. "We really... haven't talked about it."