Chapter 3

A/N: Wow an update. I surprised myself.

Vince's POV

If our council meeting had run on for an extra minute, I probably would have punched or thrown something by now. It wasn't unusual for me to get these massive headaches, but the fact that the room was spinning and the lights were blinding for most of an important pack meeting had been concerning. If it weren't for my mate, Sarah, or for my close betas, I'd probably have agreed to all the pack's desires and concerns without looking into the risks.

As the betas and thetas were filling out from the meeting, Sarah had turned to me and placed her hand on top of mine.

"I thought you took your meds," she squeezed my hand before getting up and gathering the documents I needed to sign.

"I did, but it's not helping."

She sighed, handing me the rest of the documents, "Maybe you should see Chase, see what's going on."

Another wave of pain hit the back of my head and travelled down neck into my shoulders and back. I gripped the table, trying to get rid of the feeling of nausea.

"Maybe I should," I managed to word out. I didn't want to have to see our pack doctor if possible, he was only going to chide me for the pills I was on, saying how I really shouldn't be on it in the first place. But this pain was becoming unbearable. If it kept going like this, I'd probably down the whole bottle of pills.

I texted Chase about an appointment before getting started on the paperwork in front of me. Most of our pack meetings consisted of approving or disapproving certain requests from members, and the occasional bigger requests that dealt with other packs and security issues. I would typically sign off on the smaller requests myself, but I would have to make sure I finalize the council's paperwork for filing. It was a tedious process that normally takes hours on end, but Sarah would help out, organize and filing it away so it was a bit faster.

She set two cups of coffee down before pulling her chair next to mine. She grabbed half a stack and began sorting them into separate stacks to go over. I started on the simpler requests from today's agenda, including requests for renovation on homes, permitting, as well as dispute requests like noise complaints. The pain had decreased into throbbing, but it would occasionally feel like daggers in my back. I tried ignoring it while I signed the papers.

Just as I set those aside for filing, my phone started ringing. Chase's name flashed across the screen.

"Hey," I answered.

"Vince. When are you able to make it in today?"

I looked over at the pile of paperwork. Sarah had turned to look at me, mouthing who. After I whispered who back to her, I mulled over how long it would take us to finish.

"Give me a couple of hours," I told Chase. I hung up, placing my phone down, and picking up the next stack of papers. After the simple requests, I typically worked with the more important requests. These weren't council paperwork, but these involved some careful consideration, especially pertaining to security issues and border control. Ever since my father had introduced the Rogue Control and Protection Project, or RCPP, our border control was having an issue with rogue wolves misusing and freeloading on the older "open door" policy he envisioned. Over the years of tightening it up, there was still a few loose ends that needed to be addressed.

Before, our border would allow any injured rogue who may need help, or any willing to transition into a pack member. The process had been easier, allowing anyone beyond our border. There'd be times where rogues would fake and injury to try and attack one of the pack guards at our center. Others would purposely get themselves injured so they could stay at our center to heal, receiving a free bed and food. Although it had been a wonderful idea, my father did not take into account how our pack would suffer as a result. Not only could we not accommodate all the rogues, it was becoming too stressful for the RCPP guards. It was even unsafe for our young pups to be anywhere near the center or the border at all with these potentially dangerous rogues.