Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Simon's POV

Despite being shorter, Aspen brought my head into his chest, his hands gently placed on my back as he hugged me with no intention of letting go soon. His heart was racing, and I could practically feel the weight in his shoulders being lifted. The worry he had must've caused him a lot of stress, and I could see how relieved he was when he saw me. Tears were starting to form as I could tell he was trying hard not to cry either.

He sniffled, before pulling away, then squeezed my hands in his.

"Where were you?" He whispered. "I looked everywhere."

"I'm sorry," I said shakily. He squeezed my hand again before looking at Sarah, then glanced at Sam with a pointed look. Sam reached out his hand to Aspen.

Aspen shook his hand cautiously before giving him a once over then mind linking me. Is he... a client?

No, I nearly shouted back, almost saying it out loud. Sam smiled. "I'm Sam. He's been with me. I'm sorry we didn't contact you sooner, you must've been so worried about him."

Sarah cleared her throat before holding onto Aspen's shoulder. "I'm Sarah, and this here is Aspen. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Sarah offered us to sit down with them, so we did, they were already finished with their food, but they ordered a side dish as we waited for Cindy to bring us our waffles.

Sarah swallowed a portion of the corn beef hash before asking, "So how did you two end up meeting?"

I told them the gist of how I met him, leaving out that it was Sam's car that I got hit by and what had happened at the bar, Sam filled in the gaps for when I had been unconscious. Aspen didn't seem convinced, but he kept quiet as Sarah asked more questions. He would pick on the food, then glare at Sam, before repeating the process. Something was bothering him, but I wasn't sure what.

"It must be difficult to run on donations though," she commented, as Cindy brought a heaping plate of waffles, a mountain of whip cream and probably a pound of strawberries on top. I don't think this was the normal amount of toppings patrons were supposed to get, but I had a strong inkling that it was because of Sam.

"It can be, but we have a few loyal customers who are willing to pitch in a little extra," he said in between bites of strawberries. "It's not about the money for me, though. So long as I can do everything to help those in need, that's enough."

Sarah pouted, putting her hand over her heart. "That's sweet of you. Isn't it hun?"

"Ya, sweet," Aspen grit out, giving Sam a cold look.

She glared at Aspen, the two seemed to argue with each other through the mind link. Sam glanced at me, almost questioning me if I knew what was going on, but I wanted to figure that out as well. Pulling out my phone, I typed in my notes, idk what's going on, then showed it to him.

Sam pulled out his phone to do the same. Was it something I said? I shrugged. Something was bothering Aspen, but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it was because I didn't contact him, except for last night? Whatever the reason, I was getting afraid of what Aspen was thinking.

Sarah had whispered just audibly, "You should be happy he's here, not with an asshole like Vince."

I tensed at his name. Why was she bringing him up? Aspen lips rose like he wanted to snarl, but pursed his lips instead. Sam turned to me again, showing me his phone. Vince? He must've heard Sarah, which I was hoping he wouldn't. Biting my bottom lip, I wondered what to say. I was still trying to figure out why Aspen was acting like this, and why Sarah was getting so riled up.