Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Vince's POV

I was already four beers in when Lucas had decided to show up. I chugged a shot, before asking the bartender for two more. It was fairly busy for a weekday, especially since this bar was a small hole in the wall on the side of a busy roadway. Most of the pack would come out here since it was only a 10-minute drive to get here, but today, it seemed to swell with regular customers. Lucas stood out amongst the crowd, given his tall stature, and the way he carried himself. He easily squeezed by social bar-goers and sat next to me.

"I called you over thirty minutes ago," I groaned. "You're paying my tab. Where the hell were you?"

He took a shot, before asking for a beer. "I went for a run"

"A run?"

"Ya, I've been looking for Sally. Jane says she wasn't with her, and now Jane is getting on my ass about not keeping my eye on her when Jane was the one who decided to go AWOL last night"

I gave him an incredulous glare. I didn't understand how going for a run would help.

He groaned before rubbing his face, tracing the rim of his glass, "I caught Sally's scent in the forest. I'm assuming she ran off, but I lost it near the river."

"I'm sure she'll be fine, Sally's a smart girl," I shrugged, grabbing another beer before eyeing the crowd. "What is happening today, it's not even happy hour"

Lucas still seemed worried about his little girl, but looked over my shoulder to check out the crowd anyways. "Ah, Grant's band is playing tonight"

"Grant?" I hummed. "You mean Brady's brother?"

Lucas nodded, as I tried to remember Grant's face. Despite being the pack's leader, it was difficult to keep track and remember everyone. Brady, if I remember correctly, was one of our many rogue control betas. I've seen him a few times in passing, but I hadn't really known him very well. He was good friends with my brother Xavier, though. Them and my cousin, Dwaine were like three peas in a pod. But for some reason, Grant's face escaped me.

We watched as people started to congregate near the small makeshift stage. People on stage were setting up their instruments and sound equipment.

Lucas gulped down another shot, before nudging my arm and pointing to the group. "Grant's the one in the striped tee and guitar."

It took me a moment to look past the crowd before spotting him. He was tuning his guitar, as the rest of the members hooked up the sound cables and speakers. As I kept staring, it finally dawned on me that I did remember him. He was that young kid that would cling to Brady and his friends like a leech. Of course as they became teens, Brady had pushed him away, and eventually, they seemed to hate each other. However, when their mom died and dad left, they seemed to grow closer. They still lived with each other, despite their constant arguing according to Xavier.

We watched as the crowd swarmed toward their stage as they finished setting up and started warming up. The band had worn darker clothes, so I was shocked to hear them play a slower and more mellow tune. Grant had done most of the singing, while his bandmates did the backup vocals.

I vaguely remember someone telling me that he was a good singer, but I was thoroughly surprised at his skill, and so was the rest of the crowd. After each song, patrons would drop some money in the band's guitar cases.

As they continued to play, I continued to down more drinks, sort-of listening to Lucas ranting about his relationship problems. As much as I hated listening to his drama, I couldn't help but wonder what the big deal Jane was making. Sure Lucas hadn't found their daughter, but Jane hadn't been watching her to begin with. Lucas was working, unlike Jane who decided to be a stay at home mother since she had Sally. If anyone were to be mad, Lucas should be.

"Are you even listening?"

"Ya, ya," I groaned, downing the last bit of the beer in the glass.

Lucas glared, tanking another shot. "You didn't hear me at all, did you?"

I shrugged, ordering another round of beers. The bartenders usually knew we were heavy drinkers, but still stared at us like we were crazy. It took a lot for us to get drunk, and we were only starting to feel the buzz.

"I said your brother was talking to that rogue when I went on my run," he spouted.

"What rogue?"

He gaped before hesitantly mind linking me. Simon.

Immediately it left a bad taste in my mouth, and I had to resist the urge to growl out loud. "What for?"

Lucas frowned. "I'm not entirely sure, he got defensive when I tried to ask. He was telling me it was none of my business and that I needed to leave. I don't understand why he-"

"He's probably planning some kinda rogue attack. I don't like that he's contacting my brother," I stated. "We gotta tighten our security, more patrols then"

He raised his shot glass, "I'll inform the betas tomorrow morning before the meeting"

"In the meantime, let's get wasted," I tapped his glass with my own. "Forget about all this drama"

I looked around the bar and realized that Grant's band had finished performing, and now the regular bar music was blasting. The guy managing the speaker had turned up the bass, so every beat was felt through the wooden floor and tables. We kept drinking as we stared at the growing crowd, who instead of patiently and quietly listening to Grant's band, decided to go all out and dance like it was a nightclub. Lucas and I watched the crowd before I spotted a group of chicks near the back of the club.

"You in?" I asked Lucas, pointing toward the group of girls.

He quickly shook his head. "You know I wouldn't do that to Jane"

"The blonde's cute," I suggested. "Not your speed? What about the brunette?"

He rolled his eyes and continued to drink.

"We're not getting any younger," I argued.

"You do what you want Vince, I'll finish this and head out"

He tanked the last of his beer before patting me on my shoulder. "Don't do anything stupid"

"No promises"