Chapter 16

A/N: Hey sorry for the delay, I'm considered an essential worker, so I haven't been able to write for some time, but here it is! Lots to unpack this chapter, and although I didn't want to rush it, I thought it was about time we finally get to Vince and Simon interacting sooner. What do you think about Sarah so far? And don't forget to stay safe during this scary time. Stay home, wash hands, cover your mouths, and only go out if it is absolutely necessary! Thanks, and hopefully the next chapters will be out faster as I prefer writing in Simon's POV anyway :)

Chapter 16

Vince's POV

Three years later

I don't even know why I bothered with these stupid pack meetings. It was always the same shit over and over again. People complaining about their bills, the pack border, or anything else really. At times I wished I could just let the betas take over so I can take a nap. It didn't help that I had a raging migraine that had lingered for the past four days. As much as I hated to admit it, Chase's prediction of these symptoms was getting worse, and at times I just wanted to jam a screwdriver into my head to make it all stop. Despite lowering the dose a bit, shifts were still awfully painful. And oddly enough, Sarah was also being more distant than before. I had chalked it up to mood swings or her time of the month, but it had become an everyday thing. Some days she'd refuse to hold my hand in public, or would go shopping on her own. Other days she'd sleep on the couch instead, refusing to sleep with me. Some nights she'd sleep at a friend's place, insisting she needed space.

For the most part, I just brushed it off, accepting that maybe she was dealing with Jane's disappearance harsher than most. After all, they were very close sisters, even when they were younger.

But today, I couldn't help but notice the sheer animosity that rolled off of her during the meeting. She didn't hold my hand, brush my leg, or show any signs of affection during the whole meeting, and although it was probably best that I remained focused, I craved any form of distraction from this migraine. Her hands were clenched so tightly that I was surprised her long nails hadn't pierced her palms. I don't think she even spared me a glance at all during the meeting.

"Regarding security for the border," Xavier announced.

I cleared my throat. "I'll have more of our packhouse betas patrol the area. Patrols should be more frequent."

A few of them grumbled amongst themselves, but I ignored it. I wasn't planning on being laxer now that Michael was still in the vicinity. He had made a point to hover near the neutral zone between the pack and rogue territory ever since we had made that deal, leaving most of the patrolling betas on edge.

"Alpha, with all due respect," one of the RC betas responded. "Most of the patrolling betas have been working overtime, they need some days off. The rogues are less daring as of late, I'm not sure more frequent patrols are necessary."

"With all due respect, Jeff," I responded. "I don't care. We need to protect the pack, it's what the RC was for. Just find a way to rotate the betas better, or recruit more thetas for patrols."

He huffed but didn't respond thankfully. Xavier stared at me from the front of the room, glancing between me and Sarah, before continuing to stare at me. I glared back before he settled on staring at the papers in front of him.

The remainder of the meeting went on uneventfully until I noticed Sarah shift uncomfortable in her chair, inching away from me. I brushed it off, while she stared at the papers in front of her, listening to the others rant about the RC policies we recently changed.

Something wrong? I mind-linked her.

Nothing, she responded. I frowned, obviously noting that she was distressed. I went to grab her hand to hold but she pushed it away. I tried again, but she turned to glare at me, before resting her hands on the table.