Chapter 36

A/N: Early and longer update to make up for my previous late one :) My plot points are slowly but surely coming together and I feel like I've reached eureka with the crazy plot planning LOL. I honestly felt like that guy from the meme that's trying to connect the dots with this story. Anyways, I was really looking forward to writing this chapter and will be looking forward to writing the next few, so hopefully, I can start jamming out chapters faster. Enjoy! And don't forget to comment, vote, and follow. Love hearing from you guys <3

Chapter 36

Vince's POV

I could count the times I've been to Xavier's place on one hand. He insisted on moving out of the packhouse shortly after he turned seventeen, insisting he'd need a place for him and his mate to settle down, away from all the betas and bad memories of the packhouse. In the beginning, I thought it was a stupid idea, he couldn't even cook a decent meal for himself, but over time I learned to envy him. Some days, I didn't want to be reminded of our childhood either, and despite it all, I remained at the packhouse.

The first time I went to his place was to help him move all his crap. The second time, I had bought groceries to fill his fridge and pantry after realizing the kid had been raiding Loreta's kitchen at the wee hours of the morning. And the last time I had been here was when I found him passed out on the bathroom floor after missing a council meeting. He was always at least twenty minutes early to anything, never missed anything even if he was sick, so when he didn't show up or answer any of my texts, calls, or mind linked me back, I knew something was wrong. And, well, this place didn't have many good memories either.

A part of me wondered why I even showed up in the first place. Maybe Michael was getting to my head, but Simon was obviously more happy with everyone else. Maybe he was just trying to be cordial, force himself to stay near me, but did he really want me here anyways?

Just from out here, I could see them standing in the kitchen talking and laughing with each other. Decidedly, I turned around, deciding to head back to my room to work on some paperwork.

"You coming in?" I heard Xavier call out from the doorway, wearing a 'kiss the chef' apron I never knew he owned. "We're running a bit late for dinner. We could use some help."

Behind him, Simon poked his head out, wearing another tacky apron. They both looked ridiculous. "Ya, I'm coming," I told them.

I followed them into the house, the kitchen a total wreck as the two idiots in aprons went back to work. Simon was going back and forth between manning the stove and helping Xavier with the vegetables. Xavier was the walking definition of clumsy, I wasn't sure what gave Simon the bright idea to make him in charge of prepping. I watched with bated breath as Xavier held the knife haphazardly, many close calls as Simon stirred the pot.

Both Simon and I stared in concern when Xavier's knife slipped clattering to the ground, luckily away from anyone's feet. "Oops," he mumbled, letting out a nervous laugh as Simon went to grab it and place it in the sink. He grabbed a clean knife, handing it to me instead.

"Maybe you should chop the onions," he said. "Xavier, just stir the pot."

"He's always been a klutz," I responded softly.

"Hey, I heard that. At least I didn't fall off a hammock, like an idiot," he rebutted.

I threw a piece of onion at him. "It was one time."

"Yeah, at a Walmart in front of a bunch of people," he jabbed.

I rolled my eyes, Simon laughing to himself as he continued to cut the other onions with expert precision. "You're good at that," I found myself saying.