Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Simon's POV

This wasn't the first time I had walked away from Aspen and Cedar. In fact, I probably spent most of the past ten years alone. Between earning whatever money I could find, and hiding away in some cave near my old pack, I couldn't call the dingy motel or even the past places we've stayed a "home". In fact, despite having kept that motel room for over two weeks, the three of us were still considered homeless.

"Hey," a groggy voice mumbled. A hand patting around until it had taken a hold of my thigh. "Don't leave yet"

This also wasn't the first time I had spent the night with some rogue for cash.

Robbie yawned as he struggled to sit upright. He groaned before scrounging for his wallet in his nightstand. "It's been a while, didn't think you still had my number"

He pulled out a few twenty dollar bills before grabbing his phone and resting his head on my lap. He grinned, still drowsy, and handed me the bills.

I had been seeing Robbie for quite some time now, and although I never pursued him romantically, I kept in touch with him occasionally even if it wasn't for money. He was considerate and genuinely seemed to care about my wellbeing, and despite how much money he made, he didn't like to flaunt it like some of the other guys I've seen.

"Sorry it ain't much, I don't get paid till Friday, and truthfully wasn't expecting you. I'll pay extra next time," he held my hand, giving me one of his classic puppy dog faces. "I promise"

"Ok," I replied. "But you owe me ice cream next time too"

"Deal," he beamed, his eyes seeming to twinkle in the dim light. "So, what's the scoop this time? Did something happen, or did you genuinely miss me?"

"Aspen and I got into an argument, same old," I shrugged before adding, "of course I missed you. How could I live without your snoring and I owe yous"

He poked my side with his signature dorky, yet adorable pout, "hey, is that sarcasm I hear. And I don't snore!"

"You do snore," I poked back.

"And I promised you ice cream, that's not fair," he joked. I went to poke him again but he grabbed my hand. "And if it's the amount of money you're talking about, I can work more hours if you really need more. I just really wasn't expecting your call last night. I've told you before, that I'm willing to help you out in whatever-"

"I was joking," I interrupted. I couldn't take where his tone was going. The slight pitiful tone he was taking discussing my financial situation was not something I needed, especially from him.

"Really," I countered. "I was just teasing. I really shouldn't even be taking your money in the first place."

He continued to stare at me with pitiful eyes, before squeezing my hand again. "I mean it, Simon. I want to help you. The money isn't an issue for me and besides-"

"No, it's okay," I argued, reaching for the money he had handed me. That same feeling of wanting to run out and leave was creeping up again. I didn't want help. Not professional help nor Robbie's. The weight of yesterday was crushing me, and I didn't want to intrude on his life, despite how nice he was. The fear of being tossed aside like ten years ago was building, and I couldn't take to see that look of disgust on sweet Robbie's face.

Before I could change my mind I stuffed the wad of money back at him. "Woah, woah, no. This is yours now Simon. Really. This is nothing"

"No. No, I really shouldn't," I stammered. I didn't want his handouts. As much as I could use that money, what Aspen had said was starting to get to me. You need help, Simon. I didn't want to need help. I wanted to prove to Aspen after these ten years that I could do things on my own. That I didn't need to rely on people like Robbie.