Chapter 21

A/N: Longer chapter! Let me know what you guys think! Not a fan of how this chapter turned out but at least Simon gets some peace.

On a more serious note, please support the Black Lives Matter movement if at all possible. Donate, vote, protest, share, educate, etc. America is and has been facing a horrid crisis that must be addressed and solved. Too many lives have been shed, and it's important that voices are heard. If you are protesting, please be safe and look out for each other!

Chapter 21

Simon's POV

Waking up in unfamiliar places was becoming a talent of mine.

It took a while for my eyes to adjust, but when I could finally see things clearly, the adrenaline and panic surged. I could see a line of small and medium-sized cages nearby, some with smaller animals. A few cats, a rabbit, and a small mixed-breed dog all sleeping soundly. The overwhelming scent of different animals was strong, along with a comparably strong antiseptic smell. A vet clinic of some sort. There was a dim light coming from the left, but it appeared to be night time with how quiet and dark the rest of the room was. Outside I could hear crickets chirping, a few cars driving past, but aside from that, it was dead silent.

Looking down, I could see a thin sheet of fabric draped over my wolf form along with a soft warm blanket underneath. Attached to my front leg were tubes that connected to some weird contraption up above.

But the strangest thing was the feeling of warmth I felt next to me. Despite my head throbbing from the movement, I glanced to see a man sitting, leaning against the cages behind us. His head tilted at an uncomfortable position, sleeping soundly as his hand draped over my shoulder. The place where his hand rested was warm, soothing, even if I had no clue who this mystery person was. He had on medical scrubs, a nametag draped on the other side, just out of sight. I could see even in the dim lighting that there were some blood stains on his clothes, his stethoscope appeared to have fallen off next to him.

Had I not felt so exhausted, I'd probably try and run out. I had no clue where I was, or how long I had been here. The last thing I remember was...oh. Running into Vince. Then running away. Then... I wasn't sure.

All I know was that I don't belong here. I needed to go back to the motel, to Aspen. Oh, Aspen was going to absolutely murder me when I got back.

But the comforting and soothing feeling of the hand on my shoulder made me just want to lean in and enjoy it. The warmth radiating from his hand was enticing, to where I just wanted to relax and feel it more and more. And the fact that I just felt so inexplicably tired. Tired of running. Tired of feeling empty, I guess.

So in my tired haze, I leaned closer to this mystery man's warmth, soaking it in as the quiet sounds of the night lull me back into sleep.

---

I could feel a gentle hand stroking the top of my head the next morning. It wasn't warm like that night, but it was just as soothing. Blinking past the bright light, I noticed I was still in the same place, laying on a pile of blankets next to the cages. The mystery man was gone, but a petite lady was kneeled next to me, rubbing the spot behind my ears.

"Hey, love. Are you feeling better?" She said softly. She had a clipboard in her other hand, reading some things on it before smiling down at me. "Dr. Cavette will be pleased. He was so worried about you."

Maybe that was the man from that night, he did have scrubs on. Sure enough, with a clean outfit, the doctor had entered the room, his appearance cleaned up from that night as he held another clipboard.

"Are you harassing my patient, Clara? And I told you to just call me Sam, the whole doctor thing is a bit much," he had teased, before kneeling next to us. In the light, I could see his features clearer. His hair was styled forward, slight curls on the end, much less disheveled from the first time I've seen him. His eyes a warm shade of brown that matched his hair color.