Chapter 30

Ordinary People

LOLA POV:

I've been in L.A. for a couple days now, I've had countless missed calls and texts off Damon. I'm so close to throwing my phone into the sea if it means I don't have to see his name for the time being.

As I walk down the busy streets of L.A., I think back to when I first came here over 50 years ago.

Flashback 1954:

I've been in L.A. for a few months. I was supposed to be meeting Damon here after not seeing each other for a couple years but he never showed. I've stayed a while longer with the thought that he is just tying up some loose ends somewhere.

Before I was here I was in Chicago, this is what I haven't told Damon yet. I feel like there is a huge part of my life that is missing, between the late 1800s up until the 20s when I bumped into Damon.

I've been seeing a witch, Gloria, who I apparently already knew and she's been helping me try to remember. Gloria has said to me before that she knows what I have forgot but she said she doesn't want to be the one to tell me everything that happened, I should find it out myself. I was quite annoyed at first that she said this, given that she knows everything I have for some reason forgotten.

Damon told me that I've said to him in the past that I was spending time with a family, but that's all I told him and also that I was dating someone in that family. Gloria has been casting all sorts of spells on me to help my memory come back, it's hurt like a bitch but I do feel some improvement.

I pretty much remember everything but for some reason whenever I have tried to remember names or faces, it doesn't work. I have a feeling whatever happened has hurt me deeply and maybe its my conscious blocking the last parts of the memories out of my mind.

I've started to pick up a few new routines while I've been staying in L.A., every sunset I'll go and sit on Venice Beach and watch the sunset. There's something about watching sunsets every night. Sunsets are proof that no matter how bad your day may have been, every day will always end beautiful.

Once the sun has set I then take a walk and watch performers perform. Whether it be a singer, singing about heartbreak, or dancers, dancing to the latest popular song. But my favourite are the artists. I don't really remember ever being interested in art when I was younger but ever since Gloria has been trying to get my memories back, there's always been something about art that has created an interest for me.

There's one artist that I admire greatly. He looks no older than 17 and is here every day painting on a new canvas every day. There's something about his artwork that I can relate to. His art is so dark and empty which is honestly how I feel inside.

"His work is fascinating isn't it?" A mans voice comes up behind me.

I glance up at him and smile as I look back at the artist, "It really is."

"Do you paint?" He asks.

I tilt my head as the artist continues to paint, "No. But I admire it, every artist has a story."

The man stands a bit closer to me, "And what do you suppose his story is?"

I frown as I think about his question, "He's...angry. Dark. Doesn't feel safe and doesn't know what to do about it. He wishes he could control his demons instead of having his demons control him. He's lost. Alone." I laugh awkwardly as I get no response, "Or maybe he drank too much tonight." The man laughs, "Sorry, my roommate is a psych major, thought I'd read one of her books at like 3am the other night."