Chapter 63

American Gothic

In his art room, Klaus twists in pain and discomfort as he looks into the mirror, trying to get the piece of white oak stake out of his back that Silas attacked him with. He is scratching at his own skin to remove the stake yet cannot reach it. His breathing becomes erratic as droplets of sweat form on his skin, he screams out in pain whenever he moves, feeling the stake move closer and closer towards his heart.

"Klaus, we need to talk." Lola announces as she walks into the room, her eyes widen as she looks over to Klaus hunched over in agony, "What happened to you?"

"Silas." Klaus mumbles, "He attacked me. He stabbed me with the white oak stake." He pushes himself off from the fireplace, attempting to regain balance but holds onto the piano in the room for support, "A piece of it is still inside me."

"Oh my god, Klaus, that could kill you."

Klaus laughs humourlessly, "Well, I certainly feel like I'm dying."

Lola closes the gap between the pair, "Hey." A hint of a smile appears on her face as she runs a hand through Klaus' hair. The pair lock eyes for a moment, Klaus begins to calm down at Lola's touch but can't help but feel like there is something not right which becomes more apparent when Lola's warm eyes turn cold, "As much as I would love to watch you die, you still haven't found me that cure."

"Silas!" Klaus pushes Lola/Silas away from him resulting in him falling to the floor.

Lola/Silas turns away before looking back over to a fearful Klaus, "That's right. Last night I looked like Shane, today I look like Lola, and tomorrow-who knows?"

Klaus glares at them, "Show me your real face."

"Now why would I do that when I can look like whomever I want you to see?" Lola/Silas slowly steps closer to Klaus, he moves back slightly, eyes full of fear, "Resist me all you want, Klaus, but until you bring me the cure I will bring you nothing but misery. Maybe I'll pay Lola a visit next. Or maybe I already have and that's why you're all alone."

----------------------------------------------

At the boarding house, Lola is pacing around the kitchen, tapping her phone against her hand as she waits for a text from Stefan about any updates. It's not that she particularly cares about their hunt for the cure but it's something to keep her mind off Klaus. She's angry at him and angry at herself about their argument the previous night and doesn't want to make things worse.

She sighs with relief she when gets a text back from Stefan,

"Found Damon's car. About 100 miles from next stop, Willoughby. You okay?"

"I'm fine, I hope you're gloating for the both of us."

Lola places her phone onto the countertop and switches the coffee machine on, she rests against the countertop as she waits for it to brew until she watches Klaus walk into the kitchen, "Have you come to apologise?"

Klaus shrugs nonchalant as he steps closer to her, "I didn't realise I had to."

Lola rolls her eyes as she turns his back on him, pouring herself a coffee, "Of course you didn't."

"Where are Stefan and Damon?"

She can't figure out why but there is something that doesn't feel right about what's going on so Lola continues to have her back to him as she shrugs her shoulders, "I don't know."

Klaus hums, "Lying comes so naturally to you, doesn't it? I know they're on their way to a town where they believe Katherine is."

The last sentence alone proves that the feeling Lola was feeling in her gut was right. Her breath halts in her throat as she freezes in her spot, trying to think what to do next. She lets out a scornful laugh as she turns back around to face him, "You're slacking, Silas. If you wanted to keep up the whole you're Klaus then you probably should have done more research and you'd have realised that he doesn't call her Katherine."