Chapter 36

Dangerous Liaisons

3RD PERSON POV:

At the Mikaelson mansion, everyone are getting themselves looking more modern, ready for the ball tonight they are hosting. Rebekah is having her nails polished by an assistant. Kol is standing before a full-length mirror wearing a black evening suit while a tailor adjusts it. Finn and Elijah are also standing in the room preparing for the ball.

"Rebekah?" Kol starts, making Rebekah look up from where she's sitting to see him smirking at her through the mirror, "Tell me how handsome I am."

Rebekah grins up in Kol's direction, "Ah Kol, you know I can't be compelled."

The door swings open, revealing Klaus heading straight towards Rebekah, "You went after Elena? What is wrong with you?!"

Rebekah shuffles about in her seat and looks smug, "Here we go."

"Do you want another dagger in your heart?" Klaus threatens.

"Again with the dagger threats?" Kol interrupts, "Don't you have any other tricks?"

Klaus turns to face his younger brother, glaring at him, "Oh, go back to staring at yourself."

"And who are you, my father?" Kol retorts.

Klaus steps closer to Kol, "No, Kol, but you're in my house."

Kol stands up straight, "Then perhaps we should go outside."

Klaus and Kol both glare at each other, one waiting for the other to do something when their mother, Esther comes in, "Enough! Niklaus. Come."

Klaus follows his mother into another room, "Rebekah wasn't even out of her box a day before she tried to ruin my life. What happened to peace, acceptance, family?"

Esther turns to face Klaus, looking perplexed, "You put daggers in their hearts. You want them to go down on their knees and kiss your feet for reuniting them?"

Klaus shrugs, "So it's a crime to want our family to be as we were?"

"You need to give it time, Niklaus. I've had a thousand years on the other side to be angry and to heal. I'm here to make sure this family does the same."

Klaus looks at his mother dumbfounded, "I just don't understand. I killed you, and still you forgive me."

Esther steps closer to him, "It's been my dream for a thousand years that this family could be as one. Forgiveness is not a chore. It's a gift. Now, who are you bringing to the ball this evening? How about that Salvatore girl? I've seen you both while I was on the other side, you both made each other really happy when you were together."

Klaus laughs slightly, "Don't be ridiculous. You're lucky I'm even going."

"Well, I wish you would reconsider. It is going to be a magical evening."

Klaus walks upstairs and heads to one of the many rooms in this mansion, one that is locked and only he has the key for it. It's almost like a walk in closet, there are wardrobes from ceiling to floor, with an island in the middle of the room filled with memories of the past.

Klaus steps closer to said island and pulls open the bottom drawer which is filled with memories of his and Lola's past, photographs, jewellery, little nicknacks they had collected over the years and also notes from Lola that she used to leave around the compound back in New Orleans for Klaus when she could tell he wasn't himself, his eyes are drawn to his favourite one,

You were enough then and you are enough now. Your pain never defined you and it never will. I love you, always and forever.

Lola written that a couple of days after the opera fire in 1919 when they were all in hiding. Everyone including Lola were all distraught after losing Marcellus thanks to Mikael, who loved to say to Klaus he is nothing and never will be.