Chapter 39

Break on Through

A/N: the song above totally reminds me of Lola and Klaus <3

Flashback, New Orleans - 1892:

It's been five years since Lola arrived in New Orleans and she was happy to be able to call this wonderful city her new home. At first she was staying in a hotel but that only lasted a month or so before the Mikaelson family insisted she lives with them, which she accepted.

For the first time in a long long time, Lola finally felt like she belonged somewhere. But there was the dark cloud in the back of my mind that was her brothers. After her argument with Damon when she left five years ago he hasn't reached out to her and Lola hasn't done the same. No word from Stefan either since the night they all turned into vampires.

There was a ball tonight that the Governor was hosting, mainly to just brown nose towards the Mikaelsons and to keep them happy in the city. It's a few hours away so Lola found comfort in sitting within the compound reading a book that Elijah gave her the other day, Jane Eyre.

Lola's peace and quiet doesn't last long until Rebekah appears out of no where, towering over Lola, "What on earth is wrong with you, Lola?"

Lola closes the book, looking up at Rebekah all nonchalant, "Well let's see, I was abused by my father, had a spell cast on me to hide who I truly am, currently not speaking to either of my brothers and to be quite honest," Lola leans forward in her seat, smirking, "I can get quite angry when I'm feeling peckish. Did I cover everything?"

Rebekah rolls her eyes as she takes Lola's book out of her hands, "I'm not talking about that! I'm talking about how for the first time in history I've seen my brother fall totally head over heels for someone and that someone doesn't feel the same way."

"Wow, she sounds horrible." Lola gasps, "Should we eat her?"

"I wouldn't do that, Lottie." Kol appears, sitting beside Lola with one arm on the back rest of the bench as he observes his nails on the other, "I've heard her blood is rather sour."

Lola tries to mask her giggle and sighs, "Oh, that's a shame."

"You're both idiots." Rebekah says unimpressed with the other two's humour, "It's been five years, Lola, when are you going to give Nik a chance?"

It was no secret that there was constant back and forth flirting between Lola and Klaus. In all honesty, Klaus has been crazy about her ever since she walked into their ball five years ago. Klaus has been careful about his feelings towards Lola, making sure he wasn't pushing her into anything as he heard from his sister that Lola has been hurt in the past.

Lola raises a brow as she narrows her eyes, "Why are you so desperate for this to happen?"

"I've never seen him like this before."

"Like what?"

"Oh you know," Kol starts in a dramatic tone, "Mixing his tears with paint for his art, staring out into the nights sky longing for your touch."

Rebekah throws the book at Kol, "Shut up, Kol."

"Why are you so bothered about our brother's relationships?" Kol questions as he stands up from his seat, "It's not like he wants to see you happy with a certain someone."

Rebekah sighs as she ponders on her brother's words for a moment, "Well despite everything he has done I don't want to be like him. Besides, Lola is my best friend and if I see someone so obviously in love with her then I want to see it through."