Ch 61 Ash vs Kenny

The height difference was rather telling as Ash stood at 5"11 and Kenny stand at 5"5

Despite the obvious difference in stature between the two, Kenny's anger wouldn't allow him to back down. "You're not a coordinator so how can you be more capable of helping her than I am? You're a Trainer, you don't know how to properly perform in a Contest," Kenny claimed, while a few of the other trainers present in the Pokécenter shook their heads ruefully. Before Ash could say anything to answer Kenny another voice spoke up from the sideline, "You really should learn to pay attention, at least then you'll have all the information before you run your mouth." The statement had come from a young woman with long blonde hair, which curiously had a single streak of black, who was currently glaring at Kenny with ice cold blue eyes. "What do you mean?" Kenny stuttered, not fully understanding why the woman would take Ash's side.

"Really? All coordinators, especially newbies such as you, should pay attention to their competition. That means actually watching the contests you don't participate in," the woman answered, not arrogantly but with confidence stemming from experience. "That is Ash Ketchum, and while he is an Prestigious Trainer, he has also won a few contests before," the woman explained, cutting Kenny down when he opened his mouth to comment. "Besides he is one of the most powerful trainers in this center right now, so pissing him off is probably not a good idea," the woman kept going, glaring at Kenny until a young man with spiky dark green hair came over and slung his arms across her shoulders, embracing her. "Sarah, calm down. He's just an inexperienced youngling, he doesn't know any better," the guy claimed, kissing the blonde's cheek.

Finally having an opportunity to take a shot, Kenny spoke, "Him? One of the most powerful trainers in here? No way." Ash rolled his eyes, way too used to someone denying his skill because of his age. "Kid, I'm an Prestigious Trainer. I can probably beat every single Pokémon you have on you with a single one of mine," Ash stated confidently. He wasn't arrogant, and he didn't actually want to embarrass the kid, but he couldn't just let it go. Kenny laughed sarcastically at that, only to find that the two newcomers looked at him with pity in their eyes and Ash was totally unaffected by his disrespect. Angrily he shouted at Ash, "Prove it then!"

Ash rose an eyebrow, "I'm going dinner with my best friends at the moment. I'm not just leaving because you throw a temper tantrum." Kenny's face turned red with rage, but a smirk appeared on his face, "Oh so you're scared you're not as good as you say?" Obviously believing that would get a reaction out of Ash, and it did, just not the one he had expected. Ash laughed out loud at hearing the weak attempt at promoting a reaction from him, even Paul had been better at it than this kid. It was Dawn sighing that caught Ash's attention, prompting him to ask, "What's up, Dawn?" "Just battle him, Ash. Kenny's too stubborn to give up, and we won't be able to relax before you beat him," Dawn answered, glaring at her childhood friend for disturbing her peace and quiet. Ash rose an eyebrow again, black hair hanging from his head and nearly obscuring his eyes. "Are you sure, Dawn? I wouldn't want to embarrass your friend," he asked, just to clarify that Dawn was certain with what she asked.

When she nodded, Ash shrugged his shoulders and got up. "Hey, Rich! You care to stand as judge for a minute?" the question was asked to the guy who had just led the blonde-haired woman away. It seemed to shock him for a second, before he snorted, "Kid really has no idea, does he? Yeah sure, I'll preside." "How do you know his name, Ash?" Dawn seemed interested, knowing the young man hadn't introduced himself. "Same way the two of them knew mine, I guess. There are about 180 Prestigious Trainers currently registered with the League, considering they are the top contenders for the world championship Leagues I keep up to date with the info on any of them," Ash answered shrugging, "The guy is Rich James, he's the highest ranked Elite Trainer registered for the Kanto League this year. To be honest, if there's anyone in this center I wanted to battle it'd be him. I'm guessing the blonde who chewed Kenny out is Sarah White , don't know much about her except the fact she is a skilled coordinator and Jame's fiancée."

Dawn seemed shocked, "That information is readily available? What if someone wanted revenge or something on an Prestigious Trainer?" Ash answered simply as they kept walking toward the backyard, "The information is readily available to Prestigious Trainers, you need a login and an ID chip that resides in your Prestigious Trainer identification. Mine is here in my wallet ." He showed her the Pokéball wallet , before walking away from here and positioning himself on one end of the battlefield, directly across from Kenny. "Are you sure you want to do this, Kenny? You're still Dawn friends," Ash stopped up for a second letting the wind ruffle his hair. He turned to Dawn, "He is still one of your friends, right? Thought it might be good to check and not assume, I've gotten in trouble for assuming before."

Dawn giggled a little and nodded her head, "He's still my friend, though he can at times be too stubborn for his own good." Ash nodded, turning back to Kenny with a smirk playing on his lips, "I can see he is a stubborn one, Dawn. If he wasn't he'd have backed down, though I guess that can be pride too and not just stubbornness. Heavens know I have my fair share of both." Kenny seemed a bit confused as to whether that was to insult or to acknowledge him, so he decided to simply ignore it. The next question was asked by Rich James from his place as judge, "Hey kid. Kenny, right?" Getting a nod, he continued. "How many Pokémon do you have to fight against Ash?"

Kenny seemed a bit taken aback, "You mean to tell me you really believe he can defeat me with only one of his?" The anger and resentment in his voice were evident to all present, which included the remaining trainers in the center. A few of them seemed to be in agreement with Kenny, almost finding it laughable and obviously not believing that Ash was really an Elite Trainer. James proved to be intelligent enough not to aggravate Kenny even further, keen to be done with it, "That wasn't what I said. The challenge that was made was that he could, and that is what the battle will be. You defeat his one chosen Pokémon and you win."James proceeded to shrug his shoulders, and pointed out "You didn't answer me, Kenny."

"Four," Kenny grit out, angry at what he perceived as being looked down upon. "Alright, so the match will be Kenny's four Pokémon against Ash one! As Ash is only allowed one Pokémon in the match, he will get the advantage of choosing his matchup. Kenny will send his Pokémon out first!" James ruled officially, which settled the spectators. About ten other trainers were situated around the battlefield to watch the match, aside from that Nurse Joy had come out to see what became of the confrontation. "Bibarel let's get busy!" Kenny announced his first Pokémon.