Ch 30 Sinnoh

Ash and May were slowly making their way to the port to get a ride to Twinleaf Town, the first town of the Sinnoh Region. Pikachu was riding on Ash's shoulder as they walked down the clear, dirt path away from Pallet Town. May was slightly leading the way, eager to start the new journey with her friends.

It took a few days after the incident for May's leg to properly heal and for her to walk without feeling any pain. And even though she could travel again, the teens mostly spent their time with Delia at the house. There were days where Ash invited his mom and May to a late-night walk, but he didn't ask too often. As he promised, he wanted to spend as much time with his mom before he left.

May enjoyed every moment she spent with Ash and Mrs. Ketchum. She thought it would be something she could get used to if her friendship with Ash ever changed to something else. Her face would blush at the occurring thought, so she would try focusing on coordinating to regain her composure. She told herself she was not enamored with Ash, just really loved the idea of she and Ash becoming more than friends, which May believed to be different meanings. This idea, though, and coordinating were the reasons she was very eager to get to the Sinnoh Region.

"Hurry up, you guys!"

"We could've spent more time with my mom before we left, you know?" Ash told the brunette as they walked. She was practically dragging him to port with the way she was hurrying him. "We still had plenty of time before we had to leave—we still do!"

May pouted. "Since when are you so laid back to get to another region with new badges and Pokémon. Besides, your mom was already getting tired of us."

"I didn't hear her complain..."

"Of course she's not going to tell you, Ash—you're her son," she said before focusing on the path again. She clasped her hands together in anticipation and stared at the clear sky. "Ooh, I can't wait to register for the Pokémon Contests and start my training to win the Grand Festival there!"

Ash merely sighed. He knew there was no point in arguing now as they were only a few minutes away from the port.

"So...you're going to be dressed like that the entire trip?" May said, changing the subject.

"Huh?" Ash quickly glanced at his clothes before looking up to May. She was probably referring to his nicely fitted black shirt with a large, yellow thunderbolt in the middle and not his blue jeans, hat, or trainers. "Mostly," he replied. "I did buy a jacket that I'll use when we head north—it tends to snow up there."

"Oh," May said lowly. She was glad and disappointed to know he would be staying like that. Glad that she would get to see his aspects, as she put it, but disappointed that every other girl would, too.

Ash noticed her expression and decided to cheer her up. "Hey, you're the one who didn't want me to wear the sweater I wore when I first got home," he said in a playful tone. It worked as May smiled and crossed her arms.

"I was not going to travel with you wearing that ridiculous sweater," she stated sternly. "Your arms didn't even go all the way through the sleeves!"

"Pika pika kapi pi pi!" Pikachu chimed in from Ash's shoulder and laughed.

"I didn't look that bad, Pikachu," Ash defended.

"What did he say?" May asked curiously.

"He said I looked like a Banette with big legs..."

May laughed as she pictured the image. "I knew you looked like a Pokémon! I just couldn't figure out which one!"

Ash let his two friends laugh for another minute before stopping them.

"As much I enjoy being made fun of," he said to get their attention, "we better get going before the Beedrill wake up."

XxXxXxX

When the trio arrived at the port, they saw the docks were empty apart from a couple of ships. Ash explained to May that Pallet Town, for most people, was not a very popular destination. The people that did come to the small town were either on business or knew of its serene atmosphere to vacation to. He then continued by saying the ships that did dock in Pallet Town arrive from other cities, which can be from either Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, or other cities of Kanto. May was surprised at first, but she thought it made sense.

They found their ship and quickly boarded it, so they would be on the vessel when the time came to depart. They had time to look around the docks, but May didn't want to the risk it and wait until the last minute to board the ship. The group searched the boat for a while before settling on the railing towards the front of the ship.

Five minutes later, the horn rang loudly across the port and slowly began making its way into the ocean.

May closed her eyes and inhaled deeply to take in the fresh ocean air. She exhaled slowly, opened her eyes, and smiled.

"This is going to be an amazing journey...I can feel it..." she said happily, still staring at the ocean. She then turned to Ash who seemed to be in deep thought. Her expression turned to a curious one. "Is everything alright, Ash...?"

Hearing May interrupted the trainer's thoughts. "Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine, May," Ash said blankly. He noticed the expression she was giving him and knew she didn't believe him. He smiled as he replied. "Don't worry, May. I'm just trying to figure out what we're going to do when we get there."

"Oh," she responded before smiling back. "Well, there's no need to worry about that right now. We have a few hours before we get there, so we'll think about it when we're closer, yeah?"

"You're right," Ash agreed. He grabbed Pikachu from his shoulder and put him down. "We do have a lot of time...I'll go check the buffet to see when it opens, so we can get there early. Okay?"

"I'll go with you!" May said rather quickly, which startled her two companions. She flushed in embarrassment as she realized what she did. "I-I mean, I can go with you, maybe." Her confidence slowly faltering.

Ash regained his composure and smiled at his friend. "It's okay, May. I'll take Pikachu with me while you search the rest of the ship—you know, just in case we have to wait for the buffet to open we can relax somewhere."

"Okay, that sounds great!" May cheered.

"I heard there's a small battlefield at the back of the ship on the lower deck. How about I meet you there when we're finished?"

May giggled. "Only you would know that this ship has a place to battle on," she said knowingly. "Okay, but after we eat we'll come back to this spot...I like the view and want to see what Twinleaf Town looks like when we're close."

"Deal."

Ash called Pikachu and they began making their way into the ship to search for the restaurant.

May watched them disappear into the ship and sighed.

"All this time I've spent with him and I'm still not confident around him," she thought to herself. She stared back to the ocean as she continued. "I couldn't really make any advances since we were with Mrs. Ketchum most of the time, but we'll be spending a lot time alone together in Sinnoh, so—well, I'll have to wait and see what happens..." May then began to think of her other important quest. "I will do my best to win this Grand Festival...I won't lose this time."