Ch 54 Junlife City Contest

"A present, huh?" Brock said, frowning slightly. "So, why do you need my help for something like that?"

"Because I've thought and I've thought, and I just can't think of what to get her," Ash explained. "Everything I come up with is something that I'd like but I don't think she would. So I figured I'd come to you, since if there's anybody who knows exactly what to buy a girl, it's you, Brock." Brock descended into a furious coughing fit at that.

"Well you see, Ash," he began, "it's not so much what you buy, but what the intent is behind it that matters."

"Huh?"

Brock sighed. "Let me put it to you this way," he said. "May is your friend. I'm not the right person to come to for gift suggestions for that. My girl-advice focuses squarely on the romantic side of things. So unless you want to become more than just friends with May – if you get my drift – I can't help you." Ash blinked in confusion.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean, Brock," he said slowly, "but all I'm looking for is an idea. Just a general thing she'd like so I can narrow down my options from there. Y'know?" Brock looked at his friend, registering Ash's piteous expression and the pleading tone in his voice.

"Tell you what," he said. "Why don't you list me some of your ideas and I'll tell you whether they're good or not."Whatever," Ash said as he put them in his back pocket while a couple of them dropped on the ground beside him, "What's important is I find out what to get May before the contest tomorrow."

"Well," Brock began to say, "lets think, what kinds of things does May like?"

"Bandanas!" Ash shouted almost immediately. "I could get her a blue bandana or blue dress, she would love that!" Ash proclaimed, proud of himself for thinking of such a genius idea.

Brock looked at Ash and just shook his head in disappointment, "Come on Ash can you really imagine her wearing a blue bandana? That's ridiculous all she wears is red or green."

Ash let out a sigh of disappointment, "What about..." Ash eyes darted around his surroundings and they picked up something interesting, "A rose, it's a simple sweet gesture," he said as he pointed to a rose bush.

"Sure," Brock gleefully said, "just dye your hair green and I'm sure that'll work perfectly."

Ash thought about it for a second as he felt his hair, "Do you think there's time?" Now I'm starting to wonder if Misty hit you too hard with her mallet back in Kanto," Brock said in a low but defeated voice. "It was a fine day in Jublife City, where Ash and his friends are in for Dawn first Pokémon Contest but May first contest in Sinnoh. Right now, Dawn was spinning merrily around with her new pink Contest dress! "Round and round we go!" Dawn sang. Pikachu copied Dawn's spin, and they both bowed down! "I've never seen this side of you, Dawn!" Brock replied. "Wearing a dress is a new one to me!" Ash stated. "What can you expect for Coordinators in a Contest?" Dawn asked. "You mean you dress up because it's your first time participating in the Contest?" Ash asked, confused.
That irritated Dawn a bit. "Oh, how naive can you get? Don't you get it? Coordinators in the Sinnoh region always dress up for the Pokémon Contest here!" Dawn explained as she Dmired her dress more. "By the way, where's May?" Brock asked. Dawn sighed. "She won't come out of the dressing room! Shes so nervous to come out of her formal dressing!" Dawn groaned. She ran to the dressing room to find May fidgeting with her fingers!

"Come on, May! You're taking forever to dress up!" Dawn shouted out. Dawn was wearing a pink dress with small red ribbons on her side. One big red ribbon was on the waist of her dress. May was wearing a blue dress with black heels."I can't help it! I feel funny going out like this..." May argued, but Dawn just grabbed her hand and pulled May out, showing herself to Ash and Brock!