Ch 62 Battle for Love

"Who do you think, Pikachu?" Ash asked, gazing up at his clearly in thought partner. "Pi-pikapi," Pikachu seemed to answer after a few moments, though the only one who understood what was said was Ash. "Alright, if you say so," Ash commented and fetched a Pokéball from his belt. "Pupitar, let's rumble!" "The first two Pokémon are Kenny's Bibarel versus Ash's Pupitar. Let the match... begin!" he announced, before taking a quick step backward to allow more room for the battle. "Alright, Bibarel let's start off with..." was as far as Kenny got before Ash took charge of the match. "Sandstorm into Stone Edge, then Dig!" he commanded easily, and within moments the entire field was covered by a raging sandstorm, the residue wind pressure crashing against the battlers and judge. Ash and James had no problem standing upright in the onslaught, casually keeping an eye on the match. Contrary to that Kenny had thrown an arm up to shield his face from the sand, and had to put a foot behind him to keep his balance.

The Stone Edge rocked Bibarel heavily, causing more than just moderate damage to the Normal- and Water-type. When Pupitar shot out of the ground and crashed into its stomach, it proved too much for the rather inexperienced, and from what Ash could tell newly evolved, Pokémon and it fainted just as Pupitar allowed the Sandstorm to die down. Kenny gaped at the powerful Pokémon and his own fainted friend, "Oh no! Bibarel, are you alright!?" The outburst pleasantly surprised Ash, who had thought Kenny to be too caught up in his anger and jealousy to care for his Pokémon until later.

A few of the non-believers, the ones who had doubted Ash could win with a single Pokémon, were forced to reassess their judgment, that had seemed way to easy for to be a simple coincidence. Though others still stood steadfast that Ash couldn't win, though they were now in a significant minority. "You want to keep going, Kenny?" Ash asked gently, not really feeling into this battle. He found it hard to get fired up for what was essentially teaching an overconfident rookie the lesson of humility, a lesson he admitted it had taken him way too long to learn himself. Kenny, less boisterous than he had been but still determined, nodded and released his starter Pokémon, "Empoleon let's go!" The new addition to the battlefield managed to take Ash slightly by surprise him because it's way to early for Kenny to have that Pokemon." Pupitar return and I chose you Buizel!!"Ash yelled. Kenny replied, outstretching his hand and pointing at Ash's Pokemon, "Empoleon Flash Cannon, now!" Kenny commanded.

His Pokemon, Empoleon a large bipedal navy blue Penguin-like Pokemon with a long yellow beak and thee large-pointed horns thrust both its metal tipped wings to its side and tensed before opening its beak and unleashing a narrow beam of silvery-white energy.

Ash allowed it to close in before he made his move, "Dodge it, Buizel." He ordered, amber eyes both calm and eager and a grin still tugging at his lips.

There was truly no excitement quite like a Pokemon battle.

Buizel obeyed in an instant, smacking the ground beneath him with his twin-tails Buizel launched himself a few feet into the air and allowed the beam of the Flash Cannon to harmlessly pass by beneath him and explode against a bush, removing the plant from existence.

"You left yourself open!" Kenny suddenly declared as Buizel dodged, "Drill Peck, now!" He told his Pokemon.

With a running start, Empoleon blasted off the ground in a running jump and blitzed across the air like a vertical spinning top.

Ash was nonplussed though, "Intercept it!" He ordered almost instantly in response.

Buizel met Empoleon's spinning charge head-on in mid-air and punched both fists harshly into Empoleon's beak. Empoleon continued to spin as hard as it could, attempting to break through and pierce Buizel with its glowing beak.

But no such luck. With each passing moment, the strength behind Buizel's grip slowed down Empoleon's spin and the dual Water and Steel-Type Pokemon's attack lost its luster. They landed upon the ground again, Empoleon back on its feet and bent over as Buizel kept a harsh grip on its face.