Ch 28 Relaxing

They had finally arrived at the house ten minutes later without another incident occurring. Ash cautiously put May down to stand when they were next to the door. He opened it slowly and helped her inside so that she could sit down on the couch. Pikachu closed the door behind them.

"Ash, May, Pikachu! Are you all back?"

"Yeah, we're back, mom," Ash replied as he helped May lie down on the couch and elevate her injured foot under a pillow on the arm of the couch.

Delia walked into the living room. "I was about to call Professor Oak to—oh my, what happened?!" Her initial smile when she walked into the room disappeared as she viewed the scene.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Ketchum," May reassured, which did not work as she slightly winced in pain. "Ash says I just twisted my ankle."

Delia ran back into the kitchen and to the refrigerator. She grabbed an icepack and raced back to the two teens. She slowly placed the pack on May's leg to which the young brunette grimaced lightly from the coldness. "This should bring down the swelling, okay?"

May nodded.

"How did this happened?"

Ash sat down and explained the details of the accident to his mom. He began his story after the battle with Gary and continued up to where May hurt her ankle.

"And that's why we took a while to get back home," Ash finished.

May gave him a curious glance, noticing something was missing in his story. "He didn't tell her that he carried me here..."

Delia glanced carefully at May and then back at Ash. "Well," she began, "at least you're all back home now. It could've been a lot worse." She turned to May again and continued. "You're going to have to stay off your foot for a few days, okay, dear."

"Yes, Mrs. Ketchum," May agreed. "Ash told me the same thing when I first injured it."

"That's my Ash for you!"

This caused Ash to smile. "So now that we're here, do you want to give May her special meal?" He asked his mom. "I mean, it was the main reason why she got hurt in the first place—we were trying to get here as fast as we could. It's only fair she gets to eat, right?"

May was about to protest Ash's suggestion—feeling embarrassed and all—when Delia jumped from her seat.

"You're right, Ash!" Mrs. Ketchum turned to May. "You can even eat your food here, so you don't have to walk to the table!"

Again, May tried to protest. "Um, no, it's okay Mrs. Ketchum I—"

"No buts," the older brunette interrupted sternly. "I'm going to warm up the food and bring you a plate of ramen noodles. In fact, we'll all eat here so you won't be lonely." And before she could give May a chance to respond, Delia walked away into the kitchen.

May turned to Ash with a blank expression, not knowing how to interpret what just happened.

Ash merely shrugged. "What can I say? When my mom makes up her mind about something, nobody can really change it."

May snorted. "It's sounds like her son that I know too well..."

Ash playfully tossed her her shoe that he was still holding. It caught May by surprise that she didn't react quick enough to catch or block it from hitting her.

"Ow!" She said as she giggled. "You're lucky I'm hurt."

"That's why I taking advantage of right now," Ash replied slyly.

"You're going to be sorry when I get better," May warned playfully. "You won't even see it coming..."

"We'll see when that time comes."