Chapter 5 - Enigmas

You don't have to control your thoughts
You just have to stop them from letting them control you

"And that's crazy 8's," I gloat, putting down my last card.

"Fuck," Chase curses. "All luck, Luck," he says and I laugh at his irony.

"Whatever, Chase face," I mutter standing up. Detention is apparently held in the library. They don't care where we are as long as we stay in the library for two hours. I run my finger across the spines of the books.

"Did you just call me Chase face," Chase asks, walking up to me.

"Did you just call me luck," I reciprocate turning to him.

"Touché," he mumbles. He traps me against the bookshelf putting his hands on each side of my head. He throws on his signature smirk before looking down then up at me again.

"Sup," I ask and he laughs.

"Go out with me," he whispers, his voice husk. Now it's my turn to laugh and I do.

"Not interested," I tell him straight and he looks away biting his lip before turning back to me.

"Why not?" He asks. I can't read his face. I can usually tell if someone is serious, joking or just straight playing me. But nothing on him. I scan his face once more.

"Why should I?" I raise a brow and lightly shove his chest with three fingers. He allows my fingers to move him back but still remains inches away from my face.

"Why not?" He smirks.

"Mmm I recently just got out of a relationship," I make up any excuse I can. I mean it's true. "You probably playgirls like a pianist plays piano," I continue. "Oh and you're not my type," I finish.

"I can treat you better. I don't normally ask girls out just to fuck. You're different and who says I'm not your type," he shoots down all my excuses.

"I don't know, my type is good looking."

"Check," he interrupts pointing at his face.

"Bad boys,"

"Double check," he interrupts once again.

"Motorcyclist," I start naming off random things.

"Triple check."

"Someone I've actually known for a bit," I finish knowing he can't possibly check that off.

"Give it a week," he whispers before walking away. I grab my bag and head out to my cabin. I can finally sleep.

•••

I wake up to the sound of banging on my door. My eyes heavy but I force them open and grab my phone to check the time. 9 AM on a Saturday. This is bullshit. I shove my phone back under my pillowcase before opening the door. Seeing who it is I leave it open and walk back to my bed to lay down.

"Morning sunshine!" AJ yells walking in and I take the pillow and cover my ears with it. The rest of the group follows.

"Too fucking early," I mutter, sitting up.

"Nice hair. You got a charger," Chase asks with his phone in his hand. I point over to my desk and he walks to it.

"Sorry I didn't expect people to come so early," I mumble, raking my fingers through my bedhead.

"It's 9," Toni mentions.

"On a Saturday morning. That's early," I point out rubbing my tired eyes.