Chapter 28 - Scaredy-Cat

Where there is anger. There is pain beneath 

"Shut up and carry this," I tell Chase. I shove the strings in his hand that have balloons filled with helium on the end.

"What's the point? She knows something is up since all of us aren't in class," AJ says. 

"Did I ask? Stop being a smart ass," I point at AJ. "And stop whining," I turn to Chase. "It's like taking care of children at least Hendrix and Shawn are being good for once," I gesture to them. They're standing like statues, one holding a muffin and the other coffee. 

"Let's just get this over with," Hendrix says.

"Okay on 3," I place my hand on the doorknob.

"We aren't two year olds, we don't need a countdown," Hendrix mentions.

"You know what, right now the only person who I can tolerate is Shawn. We go on my count so fuck you and if we did we could already be in there by now," I point out.

Before I can get to counting Chase puts his hand over mine and opens the door. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONI!" We all shout.

"Do not disrupt the cla-"

"I didn't fucking ask you. It's my best friend's birthday and I'm going to celebrate it whether you care or not," I tell the teacher. We walk over to Toni and I place a pink bow in her hair. It's the best thing I could get on short notice.

"Ugh you guysss," she drawls.

"Shh. Just enjoy the muffin and coffee and later gifts are to come," I tell her. The boys put down the items in her hand and we all go take our seat.

The teacher is standing there still watching us like a goon. "You can continue now, the fuck else do you want from us," I ask. She continues on with her lesson about who the fuck knows what.

"Has anybody noticed Charm's been a little moody today," I hear Hendrix whisper.

"Yeah it's kind of scary. Maybe she's on her period," AJ replies in a whisper.

"I don't know, just ride it out. Whatever it is," Chase says.

"Obviously you guys don't know how to fucking whisper because I can hear you," I point out.

"We didn't me-"

"Shhh. I'm trying to learn this crap," I lie. I don't care about this crap. They go back to silently doing whatever and I lean forward tapping Toni's shoulder.

"How does it feel being 17. I hate being 16 still," I complain. Toni laughs.

"It feels the same. Come on you're literally 17 next month," she tells me.

"Ugh I can't wait," I tell her. Actually I can't wait to be 18. So I'm free to go wherever and do whatever I want.

•••

"You know I'm missing my Spanish class for this," Hendrix complains.

"You're failing it anyways. What's the difference," I ask, pulling out newspaper and tape.

"Actually I have an A but just hurry up," Hendrix rushes me.

"I will take this knife and shove it u-" 

"Charm!" Shawn shouts, cutting off my few last important words.

"Yeah, yeah," I mumble pulling out a small purple pocket knife. I hold it up to the guys so they can see it nice and clearly. "This is what I got her. For self-defence because men suck," I poke my tongue out at the boys. I proceed to wrap the pocket knife in the newspaper and tape it closed.