Chapter 32 - I Promise

Don't make promises you can't keep

"Here. It's nothing, just have fun," Walker hands me a small gift bag.

"Shut up, your gifts are amazing. Thank you," I thank him and open his car door.

"Yeah, have fun. Happy 17th CK," he says softly. I smile at him before closing the door and walking back onto campus. I ended up staying a bit longer with Walker not ready to come back yet.

I make my way to lunch. Walker took me out for a birthday breakfast so I got to miss the first few periods. I enter the cafeteria looking for a certain group of people. Well really a certain boy.

I march my way over and sit down next to him and face the group. "CHARM!" "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" A bunch of cheering goes around the table.

"You left us," Toni complains. "But I'm glad you're back," she smiles.

"Yeah sorry I just needed a breather," I shrug, reaching over to take a few of AJ's grapes. He tries to take them away from me. "Aht, aht, aht, I'm the birthday girl," I tell him, taking the grapes and eating them.

"Fine. Actually take them, I have football practice," AJ gets up walking off.

"The play is soon so they added extra rehearsals too," Toni grabs her plate.

"Math test to study for," Hendrix follows behind Toni on her way out. I turn to Shawn wondering if he's going to leave. Just as I suspected, his phone goes off.

"Sorry, I have to answer this. See you in anger management," he says. I turn to Chase, the only one left at the table.

I look over at him who looks like he's barely slept. His hair is messy and clothes are wrinkled. Knowing him he's always neat. His eyes are bloodshot red. He's even wearing black sweatpants. He's never worn sweats to school unless it's for YAM.

"Come with me," he says softly, taking my hand. I follow him outside and to his cabin. He opens the door and when we walk in my jaw drops.

Red, pink and white rose petals spread across the ground. Candles lit, tons of pink, clear and white balloons, lots of gift bags and presents on his bed.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" The guys pop out from their hiding spots.

"I love it!" I shout. I've never had such an amazing birthday. Or an actual birthday ever, that I can remember.

"Chase did most of it," AJ says. I turn around to see him standing with his hands in his pocket.

The bell goes. "I'll cover for you. Ten minutes," Shawn says, leaving the room with everyone else.

I run to him, jump and wrap my arms around his neck and legs around his waist hugging him. He takes me in by surprise but catches me by my waist either way. I kiss him and he kisses me back. But not a full kiss, it's not like before. I slowly pull away.

"Are we okay," I ask. Shit, please tell me what I did.

"Yeah," he clears his throat. "Just wanted to tell you I'm sorry. I freaked out over nothing," he smiles.

"I don't want to talk about it. You're forgiven," I tell him, resting my forehead on his. He kisses me this time fully and I know we're okay again. He walks forward without breaking the kiss laying me on the bed. His lips travel down from my lips to my jawline to my neck.

"Chase," I breathe out softly, pulling him away. He looks up at me but I can still tell something is wrong. "We have like five minutes," I tell him.

"Better make it quick," he jokes. I laugh pushing him off me and he obliges easily. I stand up and wrap my hands around his waist.

"Are you sure we're okay?" I ask.