Chapter 34 - I Love You

It doesn't take a lot of strength to hang on
It takes a lot of strength to let go

I skipped classes all week. Luckily I talked with the nurse and they think I have a stomach flu. But since it doesn't last that long I have to go back Monday.

It's Sunday night and I'm laying down in my bed listening to music. I hear a knock at the door. "It's open!" I yell. It's not like it's never not opened. We don't have locks on the doors.

In walks Chase. I haven't seen him since Monday night. Hopefully it's civil.

"Hey," he shoves his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Yeah?" I ask. He shrugs.

"I just um we need to practice and write our speech for the anniversary night," he utters.

"Oh I have some notes on it," I get up heading to my desk. I used the school website and pamphlets just to incorporate some of their sayings. I sit down on the floor criss-cross and Chase joins me. This time without complaining.

We spend the next two hours working on memorizing and perfecting our speech.

"Alright you can go now," I tell him, getting up. I'm tired and spending so much time with him just reminds me. Of everything. He gets up walking closer to me and I hold out my hand taking a step back.

"Take another step and I can't be held responsible for my actions," I try to threaten. But really I'm breaking.

"Please Lu- Charm. Just listen," he pleads. He takes a step closer and I sweep my legs under his feet and pin him down.

"Chase just leave," I tell him as my legs are straddling him and hands holding down his arms. Probably not the best idea considering how much stronger Chase is.

Chase flips us over so he's hovering over me, pinning me down. Two chains dangle out of his shirt in front of me. His chain.

And mine.

Tears form in my eyes no matter how hard I push them down. I look up at Chase who's eyes glisten with tears also.

"Look I can explain, it's just complicated," he breathes out.

"Yeah whatever," I scoff. I try to push him off him but he holds me down tighter.

"Please listen to me," he begs. I shake my head and he let's go. "I can't force you to listen to me. But I can ask you too," he says on his knees. I move away back to my bed.

"Chase, I'm going to please ask you to leave," I tell him once more. He nods picking up his stuff before leaving.

I let out another dreaded long cry. I don't know how much longer I can keep up with this. It's killing me physically, mentally and emotionally.

•••

Tonight's the night of the play, Chase and I's speeches, the Camp Thalassophile's 17th anniversary and just overall one big party for the camp.

I throw on a short white and black skirt and blazer tweed set. I put on a black long sleeve under it. Apparently if you don't dress "appropriately" you get kicked out. The dress code for "workers" is business casual. And this is the closest thing I have.

I haven't spoken to Chase since our last encounter. We've kind of just been avoiding each other all together. Well me avoiding him at all costs. Same difference.

I collect my notes and put them in my backpack. I throw on grey thigh high boots to match. I grab the rest of my essentials before leaving. We're supposed to be there an hour early to help set up and what not.