Chapter 17 - Padre

Muscles have memory. Whatever you lose you can gain back again, as long as you are willing to to go back at it again.

"I hate you so much right now," I complain, getting in the passenger seat of Chase's car.

"Here," he says, handing me coffee. I inhale the bitterness before taking a sip. I open my door and spit it out.

"The hell is this. Poison," I question trying to get the straight bitterness taste out my mouth.

"Sorry that's mine. Italian roast. Here I got you a latte," he takes the coffee from my hand and swaps it with the other one in his.

"How do you even drink that? It's like eating coffee beans," I mutter sipping on my latte. Chase pulls out of the driveway and starts driving.

Toni is going to her parents house at 9 so it made no sense for her to come. Hendrix and AJ are apparently meeting us later. Why did I have to come at 6, ask Chase.

"You get used to it after having to stay up late and needing something strong," he chuckles. 

"So where are we heading and why do I need workout clothes," I ask. Chase woke me up at 5:30 in the morning and told me to get up and pack workout clothes.

"Do you ever not ask questions?"

"Do you ever answer questions?" I reciprocate.

•••

"Why am I blindfolded," I ask, trying not to fall over as I walk. I trip over something hard but Chase catches me by my waist bringing me back to my feet.

"Sorry, I probably should've mentioned there's a step," he laughs. I slap his hand at my waist as he guides me to a warmer area.

"Hey Chase. Your dad isn't going to be happy," I hear an unrecognizable man's voice.

"Sup Jay. Tell him he can shove it," Chase replies as he continues guiding me to wherever. Halfway through the car ride he threw me a blindfold and said put it on. No context or explanation, just "put it on and no more questions."

I hear the sounds of what I think is an elevator as we stop walking. It dings and Chase places his hands on my shoulders guiding me out.

"This is so stupid," I mutter after almost tripping a third time. We finally stop and I feel Chase untying the blindfold. He throws it across the room as I blink adjusting to the light change.

I look around seeing a HUGE gym. Ginormous, big, large. It's got everything and I mean everything. Treadmills, benches, dumbbells, mats, those sparring mannequins, even a boxing ring.

"What're we doing here?" I ask Chase, turning to him.

"Testing your skills. It'll help jog your memory," he explains.

"But how do I do this stuff, if I don't remember," I ask.

"Muscle memory. You may think you don't know but your muscles and brain will. You can change in there," he says pointing to a restroom across from us.

I nod walking over to the washroom before changing. I change into a pair of short black spandex shorts, a black sports bra and a white cropped shirt. I throw my hair in a high ponytail before walking out. When I walk back Chase is already changed into a pair of gym shorts and red t-shirt.

"Readyyy," he drawls out as soon as he sees me.

"What's first," I ask.

"Thought I'd start easy with a warm up. Stretches than treadmill," he shrugs. I begin to stretch quickly before running on the treadmill. A sweat starts to break after I've been running for 20 minutes now.