Chapter 38 - Mystery Boy Sharpe

People don't want to hear the truth
because they don't want their illusion destroyed

"Alright I'm telling you one last time. Only one of you can be an heir. You will battle until I become sick or need you to take over," father explains to us.

"I'm going to be heir," Carmen gloats. She jumps off her chair and exits the room.

"Is that true?" I ask.

"Usually I wouldn't tell anyone but Charmainley. Keep practicing the way you do and you're heir. You're practically heir already," he says. I smile proudly.

"I named you Charmainley for a reason. The definition of charm is the power or quality of giving delight or arousing admiration. Everyone will like and admire you, obey you, follow you," he pokes his finger at my chest.

"Delight greatly," he adds. "You are my charm and a lucky charm. I would've named you Luck Charmainley but your mother wouldn't allow it," he jokes and I giggle.

"But Luck is a part of your name. What's Luck mean," he asks me.

"A force that brings good fortune," I answer.

"That's my smart girl," he says. "Look just because I told you this doesn't mean I love you more. I love my girls equally always. You're just a little more advanced," he explains.

For the first time I could remember in a long time. My father hugs me. He actually hugged me!

I watch as my dad trains one of the best kids in the squad. I wish to be as good as him. One day maybe. He's tall and fit for his age.

"Stop drooling over him," Carmen pushes me.

"Shut up. I am not," I tell her. I am. I really like him.

"He's way older than you. He'd never like you," Carmen throws a grape at me.

"Hi," Carmen's voice goes high as he walks over here.

"Hey Car, Charm," he greets reaching for a towel. I get it for him and hand it to him. "Thanks!"

"No problem. I like your new tattoo," I compliment the tattoo on his bicep. It's a compass.

"Thanks, I'm thinking about filling my whole arm. Hey maybe I'll get a clover for you," he jokes.

"You should. It'd look fire," I tell him. I mentally facepalm myself. It'll look fire. What the fuck does that even mean.

"Sharpe!" I look over at my dad calling him over.

"That's my cue. Later twins," he runs back over to him.

"Bye!" Carmen yells in her high pitched voice. I grab my tuna sandwich and begin eating it. "He's mine," Carmen glares at me.

"He's five years older. Good luck with that," I tell her. She sticks her tongue out at me.

"MOMMY!" I cry out. I look up at the men who did this. His face is all blurry as my eyes fill with tears. He's wearing a ski mask. I press a towel to the bullet wound on her chest.

"HELP! HELP! HELP!" I scream out crying. But no one came. The man left.

I'm here covered in my mom's blood hovering over her lifeless body.