CHAPTER FOUR

"I went to bed at home, right after I texted you." Scott speaks, gesturing to Venus. The boy had met them with flashlights at the chained entrance to the woods along with Isaac, handing one of them to each of the girls. "I woke up out here in the woods, about a mile out. I think there's a reason why this happened."

He starts leading them into the line of trees, Lydia, Isaac and Malia clearly confused on what was happening but Venus knew from their earlier conversation, he must have remembered something. His conversations with Deaton must've been helpful after all.

"I've been out here before at the beginning of sophomore year, the night before tryouts for First Line. I remember because it was all that I could think about."

Malia carefully hops over a couple logs and sticks on the ground. "What were you doing?"

"I was looking for a dead body."

Isaac snorts from next to her. "That's morbid."

"I wish I could help you but I didn't know you then." Lydia huffs, kicking a pile of leaves with her boot and trying not to get the heels stuck in the muddy ground.

"Yeah and no one really talked to me back then other than Vee." Isaac adds.

"Well, I was still a coyote." Malia interjects. "I could've tried to eat it."

"So what was I doing out here all alone?"

Venus' mind was spinning, putting together pieces she didn't even know she had. "That was the same night you were bitten, wasn't it?"

"How did you know?" Scott halts, turning to look at her.

"I-" Venus almost starts to explain but loses her train of thought and Scott notices. "I don't know."

"Deaton said that my subconscious is trying to tell me something." Scott explains, pushing even more forward into the woods. "I need you guys to help me figure out what it's saying."

Lydia was clearly growing restless, she had wanted to go home long before she had gotten Malias call. "Maybe you were just a curious teenager. You heard there was a body and wanted to see it."

"But how? I never watched the news and I didn't have a police scanner."

"Your mom works at the hospital, maybe she knew about it and you overheard it." Isaac shrugs, still not seeing the point of this late night adventure.

"My mom wasn't home that night." Scott shakes his head, stopping in front of the group again. "I live five miles from here. How did I get here?"

"You drove." Malia deadpans.

"Didn't have a car."

"You ran." Isaac guesses.

"I had asthma."

"You think someone else was here with you." Venus states, eyes flitting back to Malia who had just explained to them how she had the same feeling.

Scott nods along, beginning to move forward again, ducking under a low hanging branch before continuing his story. "I was hiding, but they knew I was here."

"Maybe they heard you having an asthma attack." Lydia suggests, shrugging just as Isaac had.

"How would they know it was me?" the alpha stresses. "Why would the Sheriff think that I would be out here?"

"Maybe because like every other death in this town, it was supernatural related." Lydia had to fight the urge to roll her eyes, the explanation seeming obvious to her.