FOURTEEN - PART 3

HUNTER

HUNTER

"Dylan, I need to tell you something."

Shit.

Her head tilted slightly to the side, "What is it?"

Shit, shit, shit.

I struggled to find something, anything to get out of this situation. I couldn't do this. Especially not here. Not now after what our discussion had just been about. I opened my mouth to speak, desperately hoping something would come.

Just as I was about to let words tumble out of my mouth, something wet landed on my head and travel down my forehead. I wiped it away, relieved that it was only water. Dylan looked up. I followed her gaze. The sun has disappeared behind the clouds; the once electric blue sky was being to turn an unpleasant shade of grey. A deep roar of thunder erupted, and drops of rain began to fall.

Dylan scrambled to grab her sketchbook, clutching it close to her chest.

"We should get back to the car before it gets bad."

Once those words left my lips, the sky responded by turning the drizzle into a heavier downpour.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath. I quickly looked around, trying to determine our best plan for shelter, settling on the covered porch by the main house. "Come on!"

Grabbing hold of her hand, I led her towards the house. It wasn't long before the two of us quickened our pace, running towards shelter as the downpour increased. As we stepped under the awning, I attempted to catch my breath. I ran my fingers through my damp hair, pushing back the strands that had stuck to my forehead. I glanced at Dylan, noticing the goosebumps travelling up her arm and a shiver escape her lips. Positioning myself behind her, I pulled her body close, wrapping my arms around her frame.

Leaning my head down, I asked, "Are you okay?"

Dylan nodded her head, responding only with the sounds of her heavy breaths.

"We could try and wait it out," I said, looking towards the menacing sky, "I'm sure it will pass soon."

The outdoor lights slowly flickered on. Shit.

"I thought you said no one comes up here?"

As I was about to speak, the sound of the backdoor opening caught my attention.

"Hunter?" The familiar voice called, stepping into view.

"Who is that?"

I cleared my throat, "My sister."

"