THIRTY-ONE

don't forget to comment as you read! i'd love to hear your thoughts on this one x

HUNTER

White walls never looked so plain.

Especially when I struggled between the two options in front of me.

"Still can't decide?"

"I don't understand why you had to leave me with the decision," I said, eyes darting between the two paint canisters. I knew why - it was our agreement - but I always hoped the artist in her would take over and make a choice for me. "Why do they pick the weirdest names for paint? How is sea salt green? Am I missing something here?"

"Hunter."

"And this one? Touch of a lemon?"

"Hunter," her voice repeated.

"What the fuck is a touch of a lemon? How is that even-"

She reached out her hand, resting it on my cheek. "Hunter! Just breathe. Everything is going to be okay - it's just a colour."

"What if I pick the wrong one?"

"I don't think she's going to care."

My eyes widened - hearing that was enough to pull my attention away from the paint name fiasco. "She?"

"What?"

"You said she."

The colour instantly drained from her face, turning a matching shade to the walls surrounding us as she pulled her touch away from my cheek. "N-no, I didn't."

"Angel, are we having a girl?"

There was a painfully long beat of silence before she spoke. "Yes," she admitted, letting out a sigh. "I know you wanted to wait, but the doctor called, and I couldn't resist not knowing. Please don't be mad at me."

My brow furrowed at her words. "I'm not mad at you, Angel."

"You're not?"

"Of course not!" Stepping forward, I raised my hands to cup her face and leaned forward for a kiss. "I can't believe we're having a girl."

Angel must have noticed how my eyes watered as she was quick to say, "Don't cry. My hormones are making me crazy, and if you start crying, I don't think I'll be able to hold myself back."

"I'm sorry, I'm just... excited."

She pressed her lips against mine. "Me too. I can't believe we're doing this again."

"I can't believe I'm getting this emotional the second time around!"

"I love how excited you get," she said, a smile crossing her lips as she wrapped her arms around the back of my neck. "You're such an amazing Dad."