THREE

"What's your name?" His voice was deep.

"Dylan," I softly answered.

There was something about him that took my breath away. It wasn't his looks, although I'd be lying if I said he wasn't deviously handsome. It was something far beyond his appearance alone, something I had never experienced when meeting someone before. Maybe it was in his eyes, how they scanned over me, reading me as if I were a book and uncovering every detail. Or maybe, it was just the alcohol running through my veins that caused me to manufacture a crazy story in my head.

"Dylan," he repeated, my name dripping smoothly from his lips, "That's a beautiful name."

I smiled weakly, my hands fumbling nervously in front of me.

"W-what's your name?" I asked.

"Hunter," he said, picking his glass off the bar and taking a sip, "Are you and your friends over there celebrating something tonight?"

I nodded. "Yes, it's my birthday."

"Happy birthday. I'm not pulling you away from anything, am I?"

"No," I quickly responded, shaking my head, "They... they just had some crazy idea that you were looking at me."

Hunter raised his eyebrow, his face lighting up with amusement. I noticed him lean his body slightly towards mine before speaking, "I was." His hand moved to the side of my face, placing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Can I buy you a drink?" 

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," Abby's voice cried out, pulling me from my thoughts

"Jake takes me to some last-minute dinner with his parents – lovely people don't get me wrong but Jesus they talk my ear off," She had arrived at my apartment in the morning, continuously apologizing over missing last night and promising that she would make it up to me. I placed a cup of coffee in front of her as we sat at the table. "And the one god damn time I'm not there Hunter fucking Grayson is?"

I brought my cup to my lips and took a sip. "Just my luck, right?"

Abby shook her head, her mouth agape, as she seemed to go over the story I had just told her regarding the events of last night. "How long has it been? Two years?"

"A year and a half," I said, before mumbling, "Eighteen months, to be exact."

"You're kidding. God this is just..." Her voice trailed in disbelief.

"Unbelievable? Impossible? Fucking insane?"

"I was going to go with mind-blowing, but I think I like fucking insane better."

I couldn't help but let out a laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. The best way to describe what happened really was all of the above.

"How was it?" Abby asked, a slight hesitation in her tone. "You know, seeing Hunter again?"