THIRTY-FOUR

Love.

Falling in love is equally beautiful and frightening all at the same time.

It's hard enough to admit it the first time around. But it's even harder to remember the moment you fell. That rush of emotions hits you like a tidal wave the second a memory comes to mind.

Knowing I still loved him was one thing.

Remembering the exact moment I fell in love with him was another.

"I didn't know what it meant at the time. I mean, we had only been back together for a few weeks, so I brushed the feelings aside as happiness over being together again," I explained, drifting my attention back to the window. "Not too long after that night, you took me up to your family's vacation home, and we spent the day in your favourite spot while I drew. And at night, before we got into bed, you said-"

"I'm falling in love with you."

I glanced to the side. "When you said that, I got the same feeling I did during the art show. And that's when I realized I was in love with you. And, if I'm being honest with myself, I don't think I'm ever going to have that same feeling with someone again."

"Sure you will."

"Not like this." I nodded back towards the house. "Not like them." My fingers dug into the palm of my hands. "As I'm happy for them, this also really fucking sucks," I admitted. "Tomorrow is Lily's birthday party which means after this-"

Hunter was hard to read, but now I could see that sadness in his eyes as he said, "I know. But we knew this day was coming. It was inevitable, Dylan." He sighed, shoving his hands into the pockets of his trousers. "Rarely anyone gets to experience what they have. You deserve to find someone, Dylan, and I would hate for you not to allow yourself that chance."

"I'm not saying I'll never fall in love again. I just won't fall in love like this again."

"You're right."

His response took me by surprise. But before I had the chance to tell him off for his arrogant thinking, he added,

"You won't fall in love like this again. You will fall in love the right way. With someone who will treat you the way you deserve without all the bullshit and drama attached," he said. "I've been thinking about that saying, if you love someone, let them go. I didn't love you the right way."

"Yes, you-"

"No, I didn't," he interjected, shaking his head. "I loved you selfishly. Now it's my chance to make things right."

"How are you going to do that?"

"By loving you selflessly. By letting you go."

"What if we never tell them the truth?"

"We can't do that. I put you through enough bullshit. I'm not going to keep it going."

I sunk my teeth into my trembling bottom lip, gnawing at the sensitive skin before painfully admitting, "I'm not ready to let you go."

From my view, I spotted Delilah and Ethan begin to slow dance. He held her close, wrapping his arms around her as she leaned against his chest. I was happy my sister had that kind of love and protection; it was beautiful to watch, even from afar.

Without a word, Hunter left my side and walked to the other side of the room. The urge to ask where he was going was on the tip of my tongue, but I only became more confused when music began to play in the background.

He stepped away from the speaker, headed back to where I stood and extended his hand. "How about, just for one song, we pretend that none of that is happening."