TWENTY-NINE - PART 1

I couldn't sleep without thinking about it.

Every time my eyes closed, the moment replayed in my mind on a tortuous loop.

I can't believe I made a fool out of myself in front of Hunter.

All over a kiss.

All it took was that one moment outside by the water to make me forget why we were even there in the first place. Lying down on the grass with my hand in his pulled me right back to that moment all those years ago. The day we spent up at his family's vacation house - when he surprised me with the trip in the middle of my studies - all planned to pull me out of my creative funk. We had a deep, honest conversation about where my life was and what I was doing instead of putting my dreams first.

Today was just like that day all those years ago.

Except for this time, we weren't together.

It wasn't acceptable for me to look at him the same way, to want to touch and kiss him. I wasn't supposed to have that same fluttering feeling in my chest when our hands brushed, or he smiled. And I definitely shouldn't have blushed the entire walk home. But no matter how many times I scolded and reminded myself of why we were here in the first place, I did all those things.

I knew it was impossible to turn off my feelings for him like a tap. However, I desperately wished I could. Especially right now.

As we passed through the gate and walked towards the garage, I ignored the little voice in my head that screamed how wrong of an idea this was and reached for his hand.

"Hunter, wait!"

He did as I asked and immediately stopped walking, facing me with a slight look of concern. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just..." My words trailed off. I hadn't planned what I wanted to say, and now, I feared I was making a complete fool of myself. Before I could talk myself out of it, I stepped forward, wrapped my arms around his neck, and pulled him in for a hug.

At first, his body was tense when I hugged him, rightfully surprised by my sudden action. But he was quick to relax, allowing his hands to sprawl across my back and keep my body close to his. His head nuzzled in the crook of my neck; the feeling of his breath against my skin caused a shiver to run up my spine.

In his arms, I felt safe... calm... at peace.

There was a sense of relief. My thoughts suddenly stopped flying around in my head at a million miles per hour.

I missed this feeling.

But worst of all, I missed us - or at least, what was us.

Hunter pulled back slightly, allowing our noses to brush. I didn't move. And neither did he. A mere couple of inches only separated our lips. My eyes flickered down to the curve of his mouth. I wondered if he knew what I was thinking; craving. His eyes flickered down. He was thinking the same - I knew he was.

My heart was beating so fast and loud - the sound echoed through my body and made my ears burn. I feared he could hear what it was doing to me, how he made my body react to my desire for him.

"Angel..."

That should have been my sign. Hearing him utter that word should have pulled me out of this trance. But it didn't. It only made me want him more.

"Please," was all I could reply in the faintest whisper. I wondered if he had heard me at all.

Our lips barely touched. I noticed that the space remaining between us was close to nothing. There was no turning back now.