FIVE

The warm scent of freshly brewed coffee and baked pastries filled the café

The warm scent of freshly brewed coffee and baked pastries filled the café. The bartenders moved quickly behind the counter, fulfilling orders of new customers who flowed in and out as the day dragged on. I adjusted my position in the booth, realizing how stiff my body had become from sitting for countless hours. Flipping to a new page, I continued scribbling down my notes, pushing the thought of how heavy my eyelids were beginning to feel to the back of my mind.

"You never responded to my text."

A familiar husky voice interrupted my thoughts as I looked up. Hunter stood beside my table, dressed in a white button-down that was tucked into his jeans. His attire was almost identical to what he had on the night we met, I began to wonder if he owned any other clothing.

"I've been a little busy," I responded, gesturing to the textbook and notepad laid out on the table in front of me.

"Can't say I'm not hurt," he said, sliding into the booth across from me. "What has kept you so busy from me?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Studying."

Hunter leaned forward on the table, his eyes watching me closely. "You don't take study breaks?"

"You texted me your name, not an SOS. I didn't realize that needed an immediate response." I looked back down at my work, running a finger across the page of my textbook to find my previous spot.

"Let me take you out tonight."

I scoffed. "No."

"Why not?" he questioned, surprised by my dismissal.

Turning my head back up, I tapped my textbook with the end of my pencil. "Studying."

Hunter rolled his eyes. "Fine. Tomorrow night then."

"No."

"The night after that?"

"No."

"Fuck, Dylan," he groaned, "Are you really going to make me beg?"

I shrugged. "Beg all you want."

Hunter reached forward and slammed my book shut. I looked up to meet his gaze, eyes wide in response to his sudden action.

"When's your test?" He asked, his tone returning to its familiar husky sound.

"Friday afternoon."

"Great. Friday night then I am taking you out."

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips. "If I say yes, will you please let me get back to studying?"

Now I was the one begging.

Hunter nodded with a satisfied smirk.

"Fine. Friday night."