ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ: ꜱᴄᴇɴᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ

ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ: ꜱᴄᴇɴᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ

"And so I say to my mom- looking this fabulous while also fighting for intersectional feminism IS my summer job." Kourtney tells us all. I barely look up from my notepad as they all continue. The canteen was full of kids in school and none of them seemed to be as passionate as Kourtney telling a story about herself. Which I really couldn't complain about. "And that's how a spent my break." The girl finishes.

"No big deal then." I remark.

"Wow." EJ stared at her, unsure of what to say. I guess she just had that kind of an effect

"Did I not tell you she is amazing?" Nini asks him.

"She is amazing." EJ tells her before looking back at Kourtney. "You're amazing."

Good news, then, he wasn't blind...

"Thank you, yeah-" Kourtney agreed with the boy before going back to her food.

EJ turns back to Nini while I sketched out a little bird on the edge of the paper. "Okay, so, crazy idea. What if we went in costume to the auditions tomorrow?"

"Okay, I'm listening" Nini says. Okay, I'm puking.

"Okay, whatever you wear, I'm doing your makeup." Kourtney says, pointing out the obvious. Even my chipped black nail varnish could not escape the wrath of Kourtney and her love for makeup.

"Okay." Nini agreed and it didn't take another second for EJ to continue.

"I was thinking a basketball jersey for me, and then, for my leading lady," He took his phone out and showed a picture of Gabriella from the original movie. "it's time to go full V. Hudge."

Of course, I didn't like it. And it wasn't just because EJ was the one that had come up with it, either (what a shocker). If that went ahead, and Nini for some reason didn't get the role, I don't think she would live that down, and that wasn't what I needed.

Nini chuckled a little nervously, putting his phone down. "Okay- no, no-" I couldn't tell if she sensed how I felt next to her, or she too didn't like the idea. "-Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I mean obviously you're gonna get Troy, but I don't wanna... jinx anything."

"Uh- that doesn't sound very Nini 2.0 to me." Kourtney says to her.

"Babe, we're a package deal here." EJ tells her. Ugh- straight people do my head in sometimes. "And all the talented senior girls graduated last year. This one is ours to lose."

I snap the lead on the pencil I'm using on the drawing, sending a stare from Kourtney my way.

"Literally, how did we not speak until this summer?" Nini asks him. The sudden vibration of my phone beside the notepad finally diverts my attention from my sister's boyfriend and how I was not his biggest fan. I let out a sigh and stood up after reading it, packing away my stuff.

"Where are you going?" Nini looks up at me as I do so.

"Someone spoke about me to the drama teacher. I have to go and... try to not get put up for helping the background design?" I say to them all.

"With that notepad in your hand, you have no chance." Kourtney tells me.

I put on a smile. "Thanks, Kourtney."

⊱⊰

Stepping into the office, I knocked and saw the drama teacher rather occupied with something on her phone. I knocked again, still no response.

"Miss?" At that moment, I pulled her far out of the attention to the phone. Maybe a little too much. Ms. Jenn jumped, knocking her hot drink all over a pile of paperwork. She looked up at me and then back down as I stared. "Is now a good time?" I ask her, thinking how this probably wasn't a good time.