ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ: ꜱᴄᴇɴᴇ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ

"Okay, we just need to nail the lighting, and our sound, and ta-da, we've got a show." Miss Jenn says.

"Yeah... and some good-enough art..." I murmured from where I was stood, painting away around the outline of an E.

"And that too." Miss Jenn agrees, me not knowing that the teacher could hear. "I need some bodies for the rooftop scene." Miss Jenn calls out.

"I can do Troy." EJ raised his hand quickly while I held the E a little further away from me. I've seen straighter, I can't lie to you, but that straight is people who are in the Water Polo team.

"Fine." Miss Jenn agreed, and EJ walked up onto the stage. "Carlos, stand in for Gabriella. Do we have a working lightboard? Do we have a working light switch?"

"FOUND IT." Big Red shouted from behind me. The lights turned blue from above us abruptly, nearly causing me to mess up the design for the fifth time that day. I heard a shout who I'm pretty sure was EJ as I looked up. Mannequins in weird positions, with hazard protection, neon coloured clothing on.

"Sorry, everyone, my Uncle Ruben said there was gonna be some left over stuff from the fashion show." Carlos explained to the two of us. "I guess the theme was 80s rave?"

"Yeah... in a dig site..." I say, perhaps a little too loud as I hear people laugh from off stage.

"Big Red, do we have anything more flattering?" Miss Jenn asked him as I put the E on the floor to dry, putting a sign up for some to see if they were passing. Because chances were that someone is going to step on it.

"WORKING ON IT!" Big Red shouted, only a few moments later a normal light came up.

"Okay, Troy, basketball stuff, Gabriella, math stuff, nobody doesn't cry-" I walk around, down the stairs to meet the rest of the cast to relax for a moment. "and we end up here, centre stage." She turns back to the two on the stage while I messed around, doing me and Seb's handshake.

We have a memorised handshake. Each move is a reference to a different HSM character. Apparently, at least. I still don't know shit all....

"Gabriella, give us your cue." Miss Jenn sat back down in her seat while me and Seb continued to fuck around. Both Carlos and EJ began to recall the lines from the script, but something odd happened the moment after Carlos finished his lines.

"Look, I never thought about singing, that's for sure." He wasn't EJ, anymore. It was like the boy had just suddenly... been possessed? "Until you. And now... I don't wanna stop." All eyes were on EJ, even Carlos'. "Ever."

Carlos looked over at Miss Jenn while EJ continued to stare at Carlos, and I could only guess he was trying to stick in character. "That's excellent, and a little weird." She commented, before looking away. "Big Red, can we hit these guys with a spotlight?"

"UH- I DON'T-" I sighed, getting up.

"I'll help." I muttered, walking back up stage and getting a nod from Miss Jenn before I walked to where Big Red was. "Dude, I don't suppose you've ever... seen a musical? Or a school play?" I asked him, leaning on the doorway.

"None of them are labelled!" The ginger complained to me, and I sighed again, looking at all the levers in front of us. He was right, and the ones that were labelled were far high up, and I certainly couldn't reach them.

"Okay- how about we use common sense?" I ask, looking at the levers in more detail. I reached over and pulled a lever, and the boy began to disagree, but it was too late. Glancing back, there was a much brighter spotlight in the middle, and I smiled. "See, it was either that one, or the one next to it. It's been used, but not lots." I explained, but the boy was already walking pass me, done with my bullshit. "Okay..." I murmured.