𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. a birthday to remember

After helping Lizzie and Josie get ready for the party, Maze found herself walking down the hallway, with a hairbrush in hand

She could have easily asked for Ari or Jade to braid her hair, but truthfully Mazikeen wanted to spend time with the woman she thought was her biological mother.

Maze knocked gently on the door of Alaric's office, before Jo opened it. "Hey Maze." She smiled, as Maze smiled back. "Do you... know how to braid hair?" She asked.

Moments later, Mazikeen was seated on the ground, as Jo ran her fingers through her nieces hair, before she braided it.

"Aren't you going to be late?" Jo asked, as Maze shrugged. "Probably but... it's okay. The students don't seem to like me very much... so I don't want to make too many people uncomfortable." She sighed.

"What do you mean, sweetheart?" Jo asked, seeming concerned. "Well... a while ago, I was deemed dangerous because I nearly destroyed somebody..." Maze began. "She bullied me, but I was prepared to kill her." The Saltzman trailed off, seeming like she was struggling to talk about this issue.

"So, Dad decided it would be best if I took residence under the school, in the werewolf cellar for a while." The siphoner continued. "I still had some of my classes here in the school but I tried to study mostly from the cellar."

"That's terrible." Jo blurted, feeling ashamed that Alaric had done such a thing to someone he was supposed to consider his own daughter. "It was horrible but... I guess I was dangerous— I am trying to get better..." Maze rambled on, before she took a deep breath.

"Ever since I returned to the dormitory and became more present in the school, the students have been either uninterested in me or... scared of me..." Mazikeen concluded. Jo's face fell, "But it's your party, baby. You should go and enjoy it." She said, softly.

Maze shook her head, "I'm not sure we're going to get this chance again. I want to spend time with you." She admitted, as Jo smiled down at her niece, wanting to just hug her and tell her that everything was going to be alright.

The Laughlin finished braiding Mazikeen's hair before she decided to change the subject. "Do you have anybody special?" She asked the younger witch.

Maze thought about it, and truthfully wasn't sure how to answer that question. "It's... complicated." She laughed. Jo chuckled, "How so?" She asked.

Maze decided to try and explain her situation. "There's this girl... we used to be close when we were kids but then we really drifted apart..." She trailed off. "We share a dorm now and I guess... things have changed between us recently." She admitted.