CHAPTER 56

~Detective Quinn~

I rubbed my temples in frustration, scouring the photos and papers pinned on the board. Its been a month and we have nothing except foot prints. No sign of the suspect. It's like he just disappeared with the victim.. poof!

I interviewed a man five days ago, who looked to be in his late sixties, who had allegedly seen our suspect and victim. The witness, saw Brian pick a unconscious girl, presumably Yolanda off the road and lay her in his car as he drove his way to town. The witness was returning from a heart warming family reunion that day which happened to be his third one since the last couple of months. I recalled what he said to me that day-

Five Days Ago...

"So.... Winston.... why inform us now? Why not back then when the incident happened?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. Winston smiled brightly before replying.

"Well let me tell you something son. In my eyes that whole scene appeared to be like two drunk teenagers getting wasted in the middle of no where. It certainly reminded me of the good old days...." he trailed off, reminiscing the memorable moments of his life.

"Being an oldie has it's flaws and one of them is being too darn forgetful. How I'd wish my memory was stable but oh well it is what it is. Anyways.... my neighbour's daughter was on my porch, crying and soaked up in the rain. When I asked what was wrong, she said her boyfriend was cheating on her. She reminds me of my granddaughter and she always comes over to talk and to share her burdens. You don't see that among teens nowadays, do you?" He asked.

"Well you certainly don't but I don't get how it's related to this case..." I asked, perplexed by his story.

"Oh I'm getting there. You see, I guess my neighbour's daughter being there at that moment, jogged my memory. I remembered giving a lift to a terrified girl, a two months ago I think, who was also soaked up in the rain but she appeared to be running away from something. When I asked her, she seemed rather quiet about it. I didn't want to push her so I respected her privacy...." he paused before continuing.
"Last night I was watching the news and latest breaking news was about a girl who has been missing for the past month. The photo of the girl appeared on the screen and I almost dropped my cup of tea. The girl I helped that day is the same girl that was on the television! And the same girl I saw being carried by that shady fellow..." Winston proclaimed shockingly. A smile crept into my heart as it viewed a glimmer of hope.

"Are you sure, Winston? Sure your eyes aren't deceiving you?" I asked again.

"My boy, my memory may be rusty but my eyes don't deceive. That's surely her. I guess that's what she was running away from.. that guy..." Winston confirmed once again.

Present Day..

"Hello earth to Quinn!" A voice exclaimed, drawing me to reality. I glanced at James who stood leaning against the door.

"What's on your mind, partner?" James asked, handing me a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

"Nothing just thinking about the case. Any luck?" I asked while straightening my posture.

He shook his head in dismay and I sighed at the lack of hopeful results. After what Winston told us, he had happily determined the precise location of where he had seen them. I dispatched a search party shortly after that to sweep the area and so far, there hasn't been any sign of a single soul nor has there been any suspicious activity been detected.

Our options are limited, hope for this case is wearing thin and time is running out. I just pray we'll find Yolanda in time.

"Oh and by the way.... where's your phone? I've been calling you since yesterday but it jumped straight to voicemail" James grimaced at him.