2 - Music

ఌ𝙰𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚢𝚊𝚑ఌ

"What kind of ghost has the best hearing?"

Mr. Reyes ignores me and stares at his computer screen, scrolling.

"The eeriest."

He doesn't react.

"Okay, come on. That one was funny."

"It wasn't." He finally acknowledges me, still staring at his computer screen. "Did you send that email to Cruz?" He mutters as he scrolls some more.

I nod. "I did. I have yet to get a reply."

Mr. Reyes only nods, seemingly tuning me back out.

"Why are there gates around cemeteries?"

...

"Because people are dying to get in!" I beam. Mr. Reyes rolls his eyes at me. I frown to myself at the horrible reaction.

He doesn't always pay attention to my incredible jokes. That's what's so hard about my mission. How to I make him laugh if he won't listen?

But never fear. I know exactly how to get his attention.

"You know, Liam said I was invited to lunch whenever. I think we could be good friends."

Mr. Reyes quickly looks at me. He scowls. "He is not your friend." He firmly decides. The thing is, I don't think he can actually tell me who I'm allowed to be friends with.

"He can be." I argue with a shrug. "He invites me to lunch a lot. I could say yes." I murmur, nodding quickly.

"I'll fire you."

"Mr. Jenson needs an assistant. I'll work for him and be friends with Liam." I decide, tipping my chin up proudly.

Mr. Reyes scoffs. "No, you won't." He calls my bluff. "Jenson is always in the office in Philadelphia anyway." He waves me off, glancing at the computer. "And cut it out with the Liam thing." He orders as he looks at his computer screen.

I could probably just leave right now and go back to the corner with Maya, he doesn't need me right now anyways. But I find it fun to hang out with Mr. Reyes, even if it's in silence.

On his good days, he monotonously replies to my jokes.

"Have you heard of A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships?" I ask him, leaning forward in my seat.

"This is not an appropriate conversation for work." Mr. Reyes grumbles, typing something. I guess as his assistant I should know what he's typing, but I don't ask.

"It's not like I'm talking about sex or something."

"Now you are."

I laugh and lean back in my seat again. "Well yeah, now. But I was talking about an album." I smile. "At least one song?" I try again.

"You sent that box I gave you to Jenson's office, right?"

"Mhm,"

"Good."

"My favorite is Love It If We Made It." I decide with a thoughtful sigh. "On the album, I mean. I'm not sure if it's my favorite song, but it's my favorite on the album."

"Uh-huh."

That's the nicest thing he's ever said to me.

"What's your favorite song?"

He ignores me.

"Mine might be Put Your Records On." I explain. "I just like the sound of it. I guess that's what a favorite song is though, you like that song specifically because of the sound. But some people like songs because of the lyrics. I don't like Put Your Records On because of the lyrics, I just like the sound of it."