16 - Idiot

ఌ𝙰𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚢𝚊𝚑ఌ

I didn't get a second of sleep in last night. And I blame it on this stupid jacket. It still smells like him and it's really creepy that I know that but I do know that.

I wasn't sitting there sniffing it like a creep, I swear. I just happened to sniff it while I was, like, leaving this morning and...

It was an accident, all right? Accidental sniff.

I bust through his office like I own the friggen place. He looks at me and I throw the jacket on the desk. "There. It's right there." I proudly announce. I act as though I've just found his long lost treasure or something.

Alex glances at it before meeting my eyes again. "Great?" He shrugs. I stare back at him, slightly confused.

He always has this way of meeting my eyes like this. I mean, I know it's a common thing people do. You're having a conversation with someone? Make eye contact.

But he has this different way of doing it. Giving his absolute undivided attention to me as I speak. I've noticed it more so since we got back, but I think he did it even before we left.

"Aaliyah?" Alex calls for me. I blink, realizing I haven't said anything. "There..something more?" He coaxes.

"Nope!" I pop the 'p' and quickly spin around, leaving the room. I'm sure I've just confused him, but I'm not going to explain.

Maya is at our desks when I get there. I take a deep breath and sit down across from her. She smiles at me. "Hey, Liyah." She murmurs.

"Maya." I mumble, looking at my computer screen. I'm a little put off by the sudden use of a nickname I've never heard, but I don't dwell on it.

"Sleep well?" Maya goes on with teasing me. She seems pretty amused by it which ticks me off a little.

"Like a baby." I lie, nodding.

"Oh, yeah? So, that's why you aren't wearing your usual makeup?" Maya smiles, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

"No. I just woke up late because of how well I slept."

"So, you had a nice dream then?"

I narrow my eyes. "I don't like your attitude." I announce. Maya giggles in response. I shake my head at her and look at my computer screen.

It's not fair. I was doing perfectly fine but no Maya just had to say something like that. I was dealing with it on my own, whatever the heck it is. I was doing it. Well not doing it—but you know what I mean. I was handling it and I—

"Aaliyah."

I jump, quickly spinning my chair to the side to look at Alex. Maya snorts. "Oh—hi," I knock one of my pencil holders over my accident, spilling my pencils all over the ground. "Crap." I mumble as I push out of my seat to get on the ground so I can grab them all.

Alex looks down at me. "Are you okay?.." He mumbles, bending down slightly.

I grab all of my things, lifting my head and immediately hitting my head on my desk. "Ow—" I hiss, grabbing the back of my head.

"Are you okay?" Alex asks again, a little louder and more sure of his question. He stretches his hands out a little as if he's preparing to help me with this or something.

I'm quick to nod. "Never better." I smile as I quickly get up to put my pencils back into my pencil holder.

"Are you sure? You look a little red." Maya sarcastically frowns at me.