★-Bonus Chapter-★

ఌ𝙰𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚢𝚊𝚑ఌ

Do you know what my least favorite part of the work day is?

Taking the elevator to and from my floor.

It's horrible. It's almost always crowded, it kind of smells, and the elevator music isn't great. Once in a great while though, it won't be as crowded as it normally is. That's how I can tell that day will be a better day.

That's how I decide today will be a better day than it was yesterday. It's when I step into the completely empty elevator. Well—It's completely empty when I initially step inside. That changes just as the doors are closing.

A large—familiar—hand flies between the doors before they can fully close. I blink a couple of times as they're urged open to make room for the one guy I've been nervous to see today. Mostly because yesterday, he wasn't in the best of moods. The girl who sits right across from me messed one of his things up the other day and he only just learned about it yesterday. I know he's still paying the price for it today. He's going to be extra angry. Like, more so than he already is daily.

Mr. Reyes pauses when he sees me in the elevator. His eyes dart away from me quick as he steps inside with me. This time, the doors close without interruptions.

I take a calming breath before I look over at him. His hands are stuffed into his pockets and he's staring at the numbers above the doors intently. "Good morning, sir." I greet him kindly.

He coughs. "Morning." He mutters, eyes still stuck on the numbers as they slowly go on.

Yeah, he's in a terrible mood this morning. Luckily, I know how to fix it.

"Mr. Reyes?"

I watch his eyes fall shut as soon as I speak. Surprisingly, he hums. "What is it, Aaliyah?" He grumbles. He still doesn't look my way.

"Why was Cinderella so bad at soccer?"

He answers with a deep sigh.

I giggle on my own joke before I finish it. "She kept running away from the ball!" I finish happily.

Mr. Reyes's eyes finally leave the numbers above the door. He looks over at me, staring silently. I grin, waiting for a response that I've learned I will never get.

He stares until the elevator dings at us, and the doors start to open. I stare back at him for a while until I look away and walk out before the doors can close again. He still takes an extra second to follow me out.

Maya is already cowering in her seat when we walk out. I try to smile at her as I hurry over to my desk right by hers. I don't think it really works, but I do it anyway.

"My office, Aaliyah." Mr. Reyes doesn't look back at me as he speaks, not even pausing on his way to his office.

I freeze completely, hardly even having my cardigan off. Maya grimaces at me. I sigh quietly as I fix my cardigan around my shoulders and turn to follow Mr. Reyes. He leaves his office door open for me.

"Morning, Aaliyah."

I look across the hall at my second boss's flirtatious smile. I return the smile—more politely though. "Good morning." I return.

"Don't talk to him." Mr. Reyes harshly reminds me. I frown and quickly look away from Mr. Liam as I hurry into the office.

Mr. Reyes has some pretty weird rules. I'm still learning them.

I smile as I step over to sit down in my usual seat in front of his desk. "Did you call me in here to hear more of my jokes, sir?" I ask with a knowing smile.

He blinks slowly at me.

That's a yes if I've ever seen one!

"What did the horse say after it tripped?"

I've gotten used to the silence after I ask. I've learned to just go with it.

"Help me! I've fallen and I can't giddyup!"

He huffs sharply as he drops his elbow onto the armrest of his chair, leaning back some as he drags a hand across his eyes. I smile widely, waiting for him to start laughing.

He doesn't, but I'm sure he's cracking up on the inside.

He grumbles something in Spanish under his breath. He does that a lot. No matter how many Duolingo lessons I take, I can never quite catch what he says. Either he speaks too quietly or it's too fast for me to catch. Also, I don't have great memory. Whatever I learned, I kind of immediately forget it.

"Does that mean you liked it?" I ask curiously.

He ignores me, still grumbling under his breath.

"Where do polar bears keep their money?"

"In a goddman snowbank." He drops his hand from his face as he snaps at me.

It's only seven thirty.

I blink at him. "You've heard that one before then, huh?" I sigh, resisting the urge to point out he broke one of his own rules. No cursing.

"Get out." Mr. Reyes huffs sharply. "Just—Go." He dismisses when I don't immediately get up.

"All-righty." I awkwardly stand from my seat. "Don't forget, Mr. Jenson is coming in soon." I remind quickly on my way to the door. Mr. Reyes pauses to watch me. "You also forgot to fill out the client list he gave you." I add diligently.

His face falls, clearly on his last straw already. "God, I did." He mutters as he looks away. He already starts to search for that empty page.

"Don't worry." I hold my hands out quickly before his mood can shift too far. He sighs as he looks back at me. "I stayed last night and finished it." I assure with a little laugh. "It's in the your first drawer." I add, nodding to his right side. Mr. Reyes quickly looks at the drawer. "I'll call you when he's here." I offer as I turn away and open the door.

"Aaliyah."

I pause just before stepping out. "Yes, sir?" I answer.

He swallows. "Thank you." He mutters, a little quiet but still loud enough for me to hear.

I smile. "You're very welcome." I nod. I wait for something more he might have to say, but nothing ever comes out of his mouth even though his lips are parted still. When I decide there's nothing else he wants to say, I turn and leave his office, shutting the door behind me.

Maya's eyes are already on me, wide and horrified. "How are you still alive?" She asks me as I come over to our desks.

I laugh, taking my spot on the desk across from her. My eyes drift to the his office door behind her. "He's not so bad." I decide thoughtfully.

I haven't been here for long, but I already know Mr. Reyes doesn't always mean the rude things he lets slip. And he sometimes has his moments where he lowers that harsh attitude. It's rare, but it happens.

I've decided that I like working here. I think I'll be kept on my toes while I'm here. Funnily enough, that's exciting to me.

And who knows? Maybe one day I'll actually be friends with Mr. Reyes!