6 - Safe

ఌ𝙰𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚢𝚊𝚑ꨄ

"Why are the Irish so wealthy?"

"Low corporation taxes."

"Because their capital is Dublin."

Mr. Reyes stares at the paper in front of him for a second as he works out my incredible joke. "Dumb." He eventually decides.

"No, no, that one was good." I insist, shaking my head. "One of my best."

"I disagree."

"Okay, well, you like to argue." I dismiss. "I bet you were in the debate club in high school." I lean forward in my seat a little to grab his attention.

I've switched back to 'Mr. Reyes' instead of 'Alex'. He did tell me 'for tonight' so I assume that was a one time thing. Or at least until we go to his brother's wedding.

Wait a darn minute.

"Sir, what am I going to that wedding as?" I ask. Mr. Reyes looks at me like I'm stupid.

"It's not a costume party—"

"No." I quickly interrupt. I can't help but laugh. "Am I going as your assistant, friend, what?" I ask.

Mr. Reyes hesitates. "My date." Is all he says.

That doesn't quite answer my question, but I guess I'll just go with it.

That's basically what he had to do last weekend. We didn't really make up much of a plan for dinner so we just went with whatever.

Luckily, they believed we've only been dating for a few months, so no one asked questions when we weren't all touchy-feely.

I think I'd be fired if I touched him. Or maybe a curse would be put on me.

"Anyway," I move on. "that debate club."

"There was no debate club."

"Well, there was, just depends on if you were in it or not."

"I was not in it."

"What kind of clubs would Alexander Reyes be in?" I mumble to myself.

He looks at me, unamused as I study him.

"This is unprofessional." He grumbles as he glances at his computer.

I laugh. "What is? Talking about high school clubs?" He doesn't answer me which makes me smile. Someone knocks on the door before it opens.

Sometimes, sitting sideways in a chair with your legs over the armrest is the most comfortable thing ever. Mr. Reyes hates it, but he lets me do it anyways.

"What?" Mr. Reyes snaps at Maya. She doesn't even blink, she's used to that.

"Sorry," She apologizes. "Aaliyah, I need to borrow you for a sec." Maya looks just slightly confused by the position I'm in on this chair. She doesn't say anything about it yet.

"Goodbye for now, sir." I hum as I get up and out of the chair. "Believe me when I say, I will find out what kind of clubs you were in if it's the last thing I do." I narrow my eyes at him as I walk backwards out the door.

"No you won't." Mr. Reyes scoffs, not bothering to even look up from the paper in his hands.

I huff and shut the door behind me. Maya looks at me with a smile. "Is that why you were protective over him earlier?" She murmurs.

My eyebrows furrow. "What do you mean?"

"Is there something there?" She brings her voice down to a whisper. I shake my head, she doesn't look convinced.