Chapter 1: Survivor

In the end... it's just a matter of time... Everything dies....

???-

*************************************

I can't remember how long it's been since I've been in this city... I've been here since I was young. A child seeing the world end. And now I've had to survive by myself all this while...

My mother died years ago... I was just 6 at the time... My father? Died while protecting me from the infected bride... I was 13 that day... Want to kill her so bad...

Now 18, I've found myself cornered inside a grocery store with around 20 infected groaning at the window. I made a small tsk sound as I looked for where to go. Noticing the stairs, I ran up them with my backpack filled with snacks that wouldn't expire within the next few months. I really don't know how I've survived. I guess I've just been lucky.

Upon reaching the top floor, I heard the glass shatter downstairs and a lot of groaning and growling. The infected where coming.
Quickly looking around, contemplating on what to do next until I looked out the window where a lamppost was. I could possibly grab onto it and climb up from there.

With a heavy breath, I took some steps back and ran out the window; last moment jumping as I grabbed the lamppost and groaned from the force of it.
I sure wasn't used to it but it did save me from the zombies that were now standing infront of the window.

Climbing up, I looked at them and held on tighter. They were immune to the sun. Well zombies in the movies were like that anyway weren't they? I shook my head gently and turned away from the building before jumping to the next lamppost and onto a building's roof before making my way downtown through the rooftops.

Transversing on road was suicidal. Infected were everywhere there and most of them were dormant and asleep in the day. That's why I learnt a bit of acrobatics and parkour. But still, it felt stressful to my muscles at times.

After a 30 minutes speedrun; avoiding screamers and bloated infected that literally exploded when you get too close, I had finally arrived at my safe haven... or at least a place I could call home.

It was a make-shift home inside a crack in a wooden house. The inside wasn't as pretty but it felt more comfortable than I could ask for.
A mattress, magazines and comics to read, a tub to shower, my 590M shotgun and Uzi SMG on the side of my pillow. The bullets were running out but I knew a place to get more. Heck, maybe I'd be lucky to get a better weapon. For now it's just me and myself here.

I heaved a sigh...tired and hungry. I took off my clothing and went towards the mirror to observe myself...
More scars... no bite marks so it means I was safe for another journey without turning into a mindless zombie. But my injuries from everything else were becoming worse as I traverse for supplies.

".....Who would have though the end of the world would be a zombie apocalypse..." I muttered softly as my crimson hair covered my left eye. It was a mess. I didn't bother combing it anymore. It would get messy again anyway...
I entered the tub to wash myself off, turning on the tap and allowing the cold liquid fall on my skin.
I needed this. My only way to ease the pain of my muscles and aching legs.
Minutes passed by and soon it became an hour. I left the tub and crashed on the bed. Holding the SMG close by as my mind drifted to a memory. A memory that involved my dad. He taught me how to use guns at a young age, to kill infected and even be sneaky about it.
Now he was gone and I had to do this all by myself. It wasn't the best thing, at a young age, surviving this wasteland that was once a paradise.

"I hate my life...." I said groaning a bit before standing up and grabbing a magazine to pass time.
So for the next 2 hours I read magazines and ate.
Most of them on beauty product, men, perfume, sports and one covering the issue of the explosion at the scientist lab that started all this mess. That was the latest magazine and the last one to be honest.
After my fill of food and entertainment. I looked out the window and saw the night sky slowly cover the brightness that was once here.
The infected should be more awake now. No use going out when I have nothing to do.

"Hmm... maybe I should make a melee weapon..." I told myself this before thinking about it again.
"Then again, I could go visit the nearest military outpost a few kilometers away. In the day time... no use risking it at night..." Saying to myself as I went to my crafting table and stared down at it.
I had been making a blueprint for a sort of weapon. A spiked bat at least. It's all I could think of and actually make.
This took me an hour and a half to make. Starting from the log of wood, I had to cut into logs then form the shape of the bat. A hardwood that would deal some damage to the infected when I needed it and also light to carry.
Once the bat itself was made, I got some barbwire that I gently wrapped around the top of the wooden bat. Once wrapped, I got a metal hinge, which I used to hook the barbwire together at the ends. I placed the nails in the holes of the hinge to keep it from flying loose and finally was done.

Holding it in hand, I swung it around a couple of times before smiling in perfection to its success.
"Dad I finally made something..." I said gently as though he was here. I'm sure he'd be proud of me.

The scream of an infected however woke me from my memory trance as I turned of the lights and headed to bed. The next day was the outpost. I had to be prepared for it....

*************************************