Chapter 49 - Last

It was somewhere around three in the afternoon when Taehyung parked his car near his home where he lived all his life before shifting to Seoul.

There was his mother in sight, standing on the porch, her smile ever so soft and welcoming yet Taehyung couldn't move a single muscle of his to actually go and get embraced by her.

What if this turns out to be the last time he would hug his mother tight?

He feared that this all wouldn't repeat at all, because honestly he wanted to have his mother around him for all his life.

Impossible, unethical, childish. He knows.

A feeble whisper was heard, "Taehyung-shi."

Oh, yeah Jungkook still referred to him as if they were just mere acquaintances. He had noticed that the younger wasn't wearing their engagement ring anymore nor the anklet he was gifted.

This made Taehyung let out a sigh for the nth time since morning.

The number of things that got ruined just because of him and it shows how bad he had hurt Jungkook that the other decided to take off the ring given to him along with the anklet.

He really wanted to ask Jungkook about it, but he feared wherever the answer might be or feared the case where Jungkook would say out what he thought of him.

But mistakes are supposed to be corrected and he will, he would make Jungkook comfortable around him all over again if he has to perhaps Jungkook may even have fell out of love of how much of a asshole he has been— either way, he was determined to make things work out for both of them.

It was just a matter of time until they would have no one but only each other as their family.

The thought hurt him more than it should have.

"I—" Taehyung sighed. "Let's go."

Just like that he unbuckled his seat belt, pulling out his car keys before stepping down the car seeing Jungkook do the same and he locked his car walking towards the porch standing right in front of his mother.

His eyes fluttered shut when he felt his mother wrap her frail arms around him, making him let out a deep stuttered breath embracing the woman too, taking a deep breath of her natural scent.

There was something about the way she always smelt of flowers and wet mud— calming and soothing— she smelt like home.

His mother's arms are the home he belongs in.

"My baby bear." She whispered and Taehyung tightened his hold around her eyes almost pricking with tears remembering how she always used to call him with that particular nickname before he turned fourteen and himself told his mother not to call him that because his friends tease him.

Oh, the way he regrets his teenage years and how much of a disappointment he was as a teenager to his parents.

He should've been better, done better than what he did.

But then again, it's all in his past, and the past doesn't reflect one's present— it might vary person to person though; humans are obviously the most complicated beings after all.

"Eomma, I'm sorry." He apologized. He felt the need to, backing away to peck her forehead hearing the woman giggle.

"Don't be, it's not your fault." She smiled, ruffling Taehyung's hair, looking at Jungkook pulling him in a hug too before she led them inside.

"Eomma, why did you cook so much?" Jungkook almost gasped in disbelief seeing the variety of dishes served on the table.

"All these dishes are my baby bear's and baby bunny's favorite, so eat my sweet boys. Take it as my apology." She clapped her hands, almost excited but before that she told them to freshen up and wash up their feet and hands because the worker who cleans the house just did their work and she wants nothing to be dirty