Chapter 14: The Disappearing Fish on Ikkaku Rock

Kaiya POV

"Oh, you're preparing breakfast today?" Shuichi asked as he came downstairs.

I nodded while getting out some eggs. "I'm trying out Hakase's new invention, the 'Automatic Ham and Egg Maker.'"

"Didn't the professor distribute that invention to the neighbors as well?" Shuichi recalled as he made some coffee

"I think so. Now let's see how this thing works." I read over the manual and pushed some buttons. Soon enough a pleasant aroma filled the kitchen. I was amazed at how fast the machine cracked the eggs! Within moments, however, the machine started shaking violently. Bam! It suddenly exploded. Shuichi quickly opened all the windows to disperse the smoke.

"So much for breakfast." he sighed.

"Hakase!" I called Agasa while wiping soot off my face.

"Kaiya-chan, you're calling me about the 'Automatic Ham and Egg Maker' right?" he replied over the phone. He sounded in a rush. "It seems like the other machines exploded as well!"

**********

(in the afternoon)

"What? There's a defect in the invention?" I asked Hakase. I inspected the broken pieces of the machine.

"Yeah and I have received a lot of complaints about the product." Agasa said sheepishly. "But I still haven't figured out what's wrong."

"Maybe the Detective Boys can help you. They are pretty resourceful." I suggested.

Agasa shook his head. "They are out fishing. Ah that's right! I was supposed to pick them up from fishing later!"

"Jeez Hakase! How could you forget something so important like that!" I scolded him.

"Subaru-kun do you mind picking them up? It seems like it's taking longer than expected to fix." Agasa asked.

"No problem." Subaru said.

********

"I see them on the fishing dock!" I pointed out. Shuichi and I were on a ship.

"Professor!" the detective boys waved and called to us. "Professor...?" they trailed off when they saw us. Subaru and I explained what happened to Agasa's invention.

"Alright resume your chat after boarding the ship. Otherwise we'll be caught out here when the sun sets." a fisherman (Iwao) said.

"Let's get on the ship." I told the detective boys and started helping them board the ship.

"Come on, you guys need to get on as well." the other fisherman (Futoshi) said to Conan and Haibara.

"Ai-chan!" Ayumi exclaimed as Haibara suddenly tripped over.

"We can't have that. Keep an eye out." Subaru caught Haibara before she fell in the water.

"Y-yeah." Haibara stuttered and stared at Subaru.