Chapter 23: Enter Shukichi Haneda!

Kaiya POV

Deciding to take a day tour of Beika City, I drove around in my motorcycle, hoping to explore the area more. A crowd gathered in the park I was passing by, which piqued my interest. After parking my motorcycle, I headed inside.

"Excuse me miss, but is something happening here?" I asked the person in one of the booths.

"The park is hosting a shoji tournament today, and it's free for anyone to participate." she replied. "All you have to do is to sign your name on the waiting list." she handed me a clipboard and pen. I signed my name on one of the lines and returned the items to her.

I watched in awe as the players moved the pieces on the board, engaged in the mental sport. I could feel the gears turning the players' minds, calculating their next move. Having lived in America my whole life, I was more familiar with chess, but shoji would be fun to learn. I took one of the manuals the volunteers were handing out and read through the rules of the game.

Players take turns to move a piece that belongs to them. Each piece is moved according to different rules but no two pieces can occupy the same square. If a piece moves so that its final position is a square occupied by an opposing piece, the opposing piece is "captured" or "taken" and is removed from the board. Captured pieces should be placed face up within easy view of both players. It is not compulsory to capture.

King - moves one space in any direction diagonally or orthogonally EXCEPT that the King cannot move onto a square that is attacked by an opposing piece.

Gold General - moves one space in one of 6 directions - forwards, diagonally forwards, sideways or backwards.

Silver General - moves one space in one of 5 directions - forwards, diagonally forwards or diagonally backwards.

Knight - moves two squares forwards and then one square sideways. Only two squares are available to the Knight but, in compensation, it is the only piece that can jump over other pieces.

Lance - moves any number of spaces forwards.

Rook - moves any number of spaces orthogonally but cannot jump over another piece.

Bishop - moves any number of spaces diagonally but cannot jump over another piece.

Pawn - moves one square forwards only.

Promotion

If a piece other than the Gold General or King makes a move that ends within the promotion zone (the last three rows), then the player can choose to promote that piece. The piece is turned over to reveal the symbol of the promoted piece. If a Pawn or Lance reaches the final row or the Knight reaches the penultimate row, then that piece MUST be promoted. A promoted piece moves as follows:

Pawn, Lance, Knight & Silver General - when promoted move exactly like a Gold General.

Promoted Rook (called a Dragon King) - moves like a Rook but acquires the power to move a single square diagonally.

Promoted Bishop (called a Dragon Horse) - move like a Bishop but acquires the power to move a single square orthogonally.

Drops

The fascinating facet of the game that makes Shogi a superior Chess variety in many people's minds, is the fact that captured pieces are allowed to re-enter the game. Aside from maintaining the complexity of the game, it also means that there is no concept of Stalemate or agreed draws in Shogi. A player with one or more captured pieces can opt to drop a captured piece onto the board instead of moving at any point in the game. The dropped piece can be re-entered onto any vacant square with the following restrictions: