Chapter 16: The Department Store

Kaiya POV

"This is the bank Jodie-sensei and I were at when we saw someone that looked like you with a burn mark on the right cheek." I told Subaru as we stopped in front of Teito Bank. We went inside and took a look again. It seems like everything went back to normal after the heist.

"There doesn't seem to be anything of significance here." Subaru said finally after a while.

"Umm Subaru-san." I pointed out the window. "He's ..." We saw Scar Akai.

"He's heading to the department store nearby." Subaru observed.

***************

"Is that Jodie-sensei and Camel-san?" I whispered to Subaru from behind a clothes rack. Jodie-sensei asked the lady at the counter if a man with a scar on his cheek purchased anything. Soon, Conan, Ran, and Kogoro appeared also. "But why did Jodie-sensei come to this store?" I asked.

"Most likely she did some investigating and found out that the logo on my cap is this store's original design." Subaru explained.

"You don't mean to say that we are going to be following them?" I asked. "Like a stakeout?"

"It's a good skill to have." Subaru said. "Here put this on so you won't be recognized."

"Hey wait!" I fumbled with a cap that Subaru threw at me. "Will a cap really help disguise me?"

"Excuse me, may I ask you a few questions?" Subaru went up to the clerk when Ran and the others left.

*********

We saw Jodie and Camel eating at the cafe in the department store. Jodie kept picking at her food and didn't seem to have an appetite. "I feel bad for lying to Jodie-sensei." I admitted to Subaru. "She was devastated when she learned of your 'death', you know."

"I understand, but I want to keep her out of it as much as possible. Even still, Jodie is bound to figure it out sooner or later. She's got a sharp mind." Subaru replied.

"The person with the burn mark is at the department store. If she meets him..." I trailed off.

"I'll handle it." He went to Jodie's table and wrote something on the coaster for her drink before returning. "I'm not completely cruel. I've given her some hope with that message."

********

********

(inside the department store)

"There's bombs on this floor?!" I exclaimed when a man suddenly opened up a vest with bombs. "Hmm maybe it has something to do with the case that a mysterious client sent Detective Mori."

"If that boy (Conan) is on this case, then there's no need to worry." Subaru said. We stood in the crowd for a while, and Subaru was about to text his deductions to Kogoro but decided not to. He motioned to his right and we saw Scar Akai.