Chapter 30: PSB vs Kaito Kid! Part I

Kaiya POV

There it is! The special edition of the Sherlock Holmes! I only see one copy left, phew I arrived at the bookstore just in time. As I made a motion to pick up the book, another hand grabbed the book at the same time.

"Kaiya-san!" Saguru greeted me.

"Hakuba-kun!" I exclaimed. "Umm... did you want to read this book too? There's only one copy left..."

"Well it appears I was here first... " Saguru said.

"Hmph, no way!" I shook my head. "Hey, give it back!" I pouted as Saguru held the book away from my reach. "You tease!" I exclaimed, a slight blush appearing on my face.

"Come on Hakuba, be nice to the lady." a voice popped up behind us. It was Kaito and Aoko!

I looked at Kaito with a look of recognition.

"Do you guys know each other?" Aoko looked at us in confusion.

"Uh no... we've never met before." I lied. "I'm Kaiya Matsuki."

"Kaito Kuroba." Kaito replied.

"Aoko Nakamori!" Aoko said.

"Are you both fans of Sherlock Holmes?" Aoko asked me and Saguru.

"Yes." we both said at the same time and glared at each other.

"I got just the thing! Whoever scores highest on a Sherlock Holmes quiz gets the book!" Kaito suggested.

"Oh, you're on!" I grinned.

"It's not going to be much of a match anyways." Saguru said, causing me huff at him angrily.

**************

"Okay first question. In what year did Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson move into 221B?" Kaito read off from his phone.

"1881!" Saguru and I answered.

"What treasure does Sherlock find in 'The Musgrave Ritual'?" Kaito asked.

"The crown of an ancient king of England." we replied.

"Which kind of animal swallowed the 'blue carbuncle'?" Kaito continued with the questions.

"A goose." we answered.

"What was the 'speckled band'?" Kaito asked.

"A venomous snake." we said.

"Amazing!" Aoko smiled. "You both got all the answers correct!"

"So how will we decide who gets the book then?" Kaito asked.

Before we could continue the conversation, we heard excited voices next to us.

"OMG Kaito Kid just announced his next heist!" a girl squealed, showing her friends a news clip on her phone.

"I can't wait to watch!" her friend replied.

"Kaito Kid-sama is so cool!" another girl gushed.

"What are you grinning so proudly about?" Aoko elbowed Kaito. "My dad is definitely going to catch Kaito Kid this time!"

"Apparently Kaito Kid challenged Inspector Nakamori and Kid Killer Conan Edogawa! He will arrive at midnight to steal a crown." I read from a news article.

"We will catch him without fail." Saguru said.

"Oh? He's pretty elusive though." I threw Saguru a challenging look. "I bet he'll escape again."

**********

Amuro POV

If Akai Shuichi is alive, then what about Shiho Miyano? I thought she died from the explosion on the Mystery Train, but now I'm beginning to doubt that. Who would be skillful enough create such elaborate disguises and escape from tight situations?