Chapter 18: Akemi's Apartment

Kaiya POV

(on the way home from school)

"Pickpocket!" an old lady shouted, as a man barreled past her on the sidewalks and grabbed her purse. I sprinted after the man and tasered him with my wristbands.

"Here you go ma'am." I handed the purse back to the old woman.

"Oh thank you so much dear!" she shook my hands. "I was about to run some errands and I don't know what I would have done without my purse."

"In that case, allow me to accompany you." I offered. "I don't mind helping out for a while before I return home. Call me Kaiya. If you need any help in the future, just let me know."

"That would be much appreciated Kaiya-chan." she thanked me, as she hobbled on her walking cane. "Ever since my son moved away, I've been on my own."

*********

"I'll help you to take these parcels back to your place. Do you happen to live near this post office?" I asked when we were done.

"It's just the next block over." the old lady (who introduced herself as Emi) nodded.

*********

"Emi-san, This place is lovely." I commented when we entered Emi's apartment. Although small, the apartment was neat and refurnished.

"It's quite lovely isn't it. It's cozy and perfect for a woman who's living alone. Why don't you go wash up while I make some tea for us?" Emi said, after we unwrapped the parcels.

"Oh I couldn't possibly intrude." I told her.

"Not at all, Kaiya-chan. Thank you for all your help earlier." Emi said.

*********

The restroom has such a pretty mirror, I said to myself as I washed my hands. Hmm the right side of the mirror seems slightly crooked though. I should fix it for Emi. The mirror creaked when I touched it. What's this? There's a hole behind the mirror! And a cassette tape. I wonder who it is for. I flipped the tape over and my eyes widened. It was from Akemi Miyano to Dai Morobashi! That means... this apartment was Akemi's?!

**********

"Kaiya-chan, you look quite pale, is everything alright?" Emi asked when I came out of the restroom. "Here, have some tea."

"Y-yes." I stuttered and sipped the tea. "Say Emi-san, have you noticed anything unusual about this place?

Emi thought a moment before responding. "Not in particular. I moved into this apartment only about a year ago. The apartment was also refurnished so anything left behind would have been moved to the storage area of the building. Ah that's right! I heard the previous tenant mysteriously disappeared." Emi replied.

"Mysteriously disappeared?" I inquired.

"The neighbors said the previous tenant was a kind dark haired young lady who mostly kept to herself and didn't cause any trouble. " Emi told me. "But I can't seem to remember her name."

"Did you notice anything else out of the ordinary?" I asked.

"Hmm...the landlord was able to rent out the apartment fast because the previous tenant didn't have much personal belongings. I heard she even paid the rent a year in advance before she disappeared." Emi continued. Wow... Akemi was such an honest person.

After a while, I bid Emi goodbye and headed home.

*********

Vermouth POV

"There's nothing much to report, Gin. The new tenant living in Akemi's old apartment is just an old woman after all." I reminded Gin. "Didn't you and Vodka visit the apartment already?"